Dede Montgomery, MS, CIH
Senior Research Associate
Area of Interest
I support the Oregon Institute of Occupational Health Science's Outreach and Education Programs and provide industrial hygiene technical expertise to its research. I am also the Outreach and Education Director for the NIOSH-funded Oregon Healthy Workforce Center. My key outreach responsibilities include connecting with our stakeholders through: state-wide, regional and national conferences, instructing on occupational health, safety and Total Worker Health, creating continuing education opportunities, participating in coalitions and initiatives, managing social media blogs and websites, and supporting the Toxicology and Occupational Health Information Center. I provide industrial hygiene support to Institute and OHWC projects, and to OHSU Global Southeast Asia. My goal is to make Occupational Health Science's research and resources highly visible, relevant and valuable to employers, workers and health and safety professionals.
Ms. Montgomery received her MS from the School of Public Health, Department of Environmental Health Sciences at the University of Washington and her BA in Biology from the University of Montana. She was certified in the Comprehensive Practice of Industrial Hygiene by the American Board of Industrial Hygiene in 1990. Before joining OHSU in 2004 she held positions with a Portland-based industrial hygiene and training consulting firm and as the Regional Health and Safety Manager for EPA Region 10 in Seattle. Ms. Montgomery is a member of the Pacific NW Section of the American Industrial Hygiene Association, the American Society of Safety Engineers (Columbia-Willamette Chapter) and the American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienists. Ms. Montgomery previously served as External Advisory Committee Chair for the NIOSH- funded ERC at the Northwest Center for Occupational Health and Safety. She currently serves on the American Society for Safety Engineers Committee on Professional Affairs. She also represents Occupational Health Sciences as a member of the Oregon Collaborative for Healthy Nail Salons and is the chair for the Oregon Young Worker Health and Safety Coalition, O[yes]. Ms. Montgomery was selected 2010-2011 Safety Professional of the Year by the Columbia-Willamette Chapter of the American Society of Safety Engineers.
- Industrial Hygiene Primer for Physicians, OHSU Preventive Medicine Residents, Dede Montgomery, January 2016.
- Industrial Hygiene Primer, Guest Speaker, Occupational Health Psychology Program, Portland State University, Portland, OR, Dede Montgomery, January 2016.
- What's Sleep got to do with it? City of Hillsboro Safety U, Hillsboro, OR, Dede Montgomery, February 2016.
- Moving Towards Total Worker Health, City of Hillsboro Safety U, Hillsboro, OR, Dede Montgomery, February 2016.
- Introduction to Safety - Careers in Safety, Discover OHSU, Office of Science Education, OHSU, Portland, OR, Winter 2016.
- Temporary and Contingent Workers, Cascade Occupational Health Conference, Eugene, OR, Dede Montgomery (with Duane Grange) March 2016
- Updates on Total Worker Health, SAIF Corporation, Salem, OR, Dede Montgomery, March 2016
- Partnering with the Industrial Hygienist: Roles, Shared Responsibilities, Oregon State Association of Occupational Health Nurses Spring Conference, Woodburn, OR, Dede Montgomery, April 2016
- Total Worker Health: An Evolution, Pacific NW Section American Industrial Hygiene Association Spring Symposium, Olympia, WA, Dede Montgomery, May 2016
- Core Elements of Occupational Health: Hazard Identification and Control, Industrial Hygiene, Ergonomics and Occupational Health Nursing, OHSU Global Health - SE Asia, Bangkok, Thailand, Dede Montgomery, May 2016
- Total Worker Health: Tips and Strategies for Safety and Health Professionals, Oregon Governor’s Occupational Safety and Health Conference (GOSH), Portland OR, March 2015
- Industrial Hygiene and Total Worker Health, OHSU SE Asia Alliance, Bangkok Thailand, April 2015
- On the Path to Total Worker Health, OSHA Region 10 VPP Conference, Portland, OR, May 2015
- Safety Break for Total Worker Health, Multnomah County Safety Department, Portland OR, May 2015
- Injuries and Return to Work, Temporary Workers Symposium, Wilsonville, OR, May 2015
- Total Worker Health Roundtable, American Industrial Hygiene Continuing Education Conference, Salt Lake City, UT, June 2015
- Total Worker Health, Northwest Association of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, Skamania, WA, September 2015
- Getting to Zero: A Total Worker Health Primer, Central Oregon Occupational Safety & Health Conference, Bend, OR, (with Deb Fell-Carlson, SAIF Corporation, NIOSH TWH Affiliate), September 2015
- The Changing Work Environment and the Safety Professional, ASSE Columbia-Willamette Chapter Meeting, Tualatin, OR, (with Illa Gilbert-Jones and Mark Frisco), November 2015
- Sleep and Total Worker Health, Northwest Chapter - Association of Occupational Health Professionals in Healthcare, Burien, WA, December 2015
Identifying Health and Safety Concerns in Southeast Asian Immigrant Nail Salon Workers.
White H, Khan K, Lau C, Leung H, Montgomery D, Rohlman DS.
Arch Environ Occup Health. 2015;70(4):196-203. doi: 10.1080/19338244.2013.853644.PMID:25965322
Effectiveness of Total Worker Health Interventions.
Anger WK, Elliot DL, Bodner T, Olson R, Rohlman DS, Truxillo DM, Kuehl KS, Hammer LB, Montgomery D.
J Occup Health Psychol. 2015 Apr;20(2):226-47. doi: 10.1037/a0038340. Epub 2014 Dec 22.PMID:25528687
Rohlman DS, Parish M, Elliot DL, Montgomery D, Hanson G.
J Occup Environ Med. 2013 Dec;55(12 Suppl):S69-72. doi: 10.1097/JOM.0000000000000039.
Hair, Formaldehyde, and Industrial Hygiene, NIOSH Science Blog
February 10th, 2012