REDCap is a self-service application. Once trained, a study team sets up and designs their own REDCap project to meet the needs of their study.
If you've not yet attended a REDCap Basics Tutorial, we ask that you come to a class. Our class is the best way for research teams to learn how to use REDCap and to familiarize themselves with OCTRI policies regarding REDCap use. Basics Class attendance is required for users who will be setting up and designing the study's project in REDCap. If the project will also be setting up surveys in REDCap, REDCap Survey class is also required. Basics class is a pre-requisite to Survey class.
Registration is not required for any of our classes. Drop-ins are welcome!
REDCap Features at a Glance
- Build online surveys and databases quickly and securely
- User-friendly interface for collecting data
- Audit trails for tracking data manipulation and user activity
- Export your data to Microsoft Excel, SAS, STATA, R, or SPSS for analysis
- Ad Hoc Reporting
- Easily manage a contact list of survey respondents or create a simple survey link - Build a list of email contacts, create custom email invitations, and track who responds, or you may also create a single survey link to email out or post on a website
- Document the process of resolving data issues using the Data Resolution Workflow module.
Using REDCap at OHSU
• Training: Each REDCap project must have at least 1 individual from a study team that is responsible for creating and setting-up the project. This person must attend a REDCap Basic Tutorial class. Survey class is required for projects using survey functionality
• Online Help: Online videos and help in REDCap are for supplemental purposes and do not replace REDCap Tutorial Sessions.
• Study Data: A REDCap project must have a status of "Production" in order to contain subject data. Only test data should be entered in projects with a status of "Development" and all test data in deleted when a project is moved into production.
• Surveys: REDCap survey functionality should only be used to capture data entered directly by study subjects. If study staff are entering data from paper completed surveys, it is not necessary to use REDCap surveys. There two requirements for project using surveys: 1) At least 1 individual must attend the Survey class, and 2) if a project is using surveys, at least 1 person must attend a drop-in session to review the survey set-up for the project.
• CFR Compliance: REDCap is not 21 CFR Part 11 compliant.
• Protects Patient Privacy: All data is stored on a secure server at OHSU and all transmissions (whether wireless or wired) are encrypted with industry standard SSL (AES 256-bit encryption).
REDCap was developed by Vanderbilt University, and they continue to oversee its ongoing development and the implementation of new features. It is supported by a consortium is comprised of over 1500 institutional partners in over 100 countries. Within the worldwide consortium, there are over 300,000 users and over 250,000 projects, being being set up or collecting data, that span numerous research focus areas across the consortium.
Regulatory (IRB) Requirements for REDCap
OCTRI staff conducts regulatory reviews for all REDCap requests involving human subjects research. Please be sure to include appropriate REDCap language in your study documents. IRB approval is required for "production" status.
Want to Learn More?
To learn more about this service or schedule a data management consultation, contact OCTRI Informatics Research Support.