Research Match for Investigators
ResearchMatch is a national volunteer research registry that brings together researchers and willing volunteers who wish to get involved in research studies. This national registry, developed by institutions affiliated with the Clinical and Translational Science Awards (CTSA), provides a secure, web-based approach to address a key barrier to advancing research: participant recruitment.
How Research Match Works
Volunteers of any age, race, ethnicity, and health status can register for ResearchMatch. Volunteers submit basic demographic and health status information.
Researchers register with ResearchMatch. All OHSU researchers and their staff can register.
Researchers are 'matched' with volunteers.
With IRB approval, OHSU researchers can use ResearchMatch to contact volunteers that may be a good 'match' for their study.
Registration for Researchers
Registration is simple and available to OHSU researchers and their staff through ResearchMatch.org.
There are two levels of access: feasibility and recruitment.
With feasibility access OHSU researchers can scan the registry and see aggregate data regarding the registry population. This access will allow you to enter specific search criteria to see if ResearchMatch may be a useful tool for your study.
With recruitment access, researchers can contact ResearchMatch volunteers that appear to be a good 'match' for their study. This type of access requires IRB approval. To gain this access you must be the Principal Investigator (PI) or an individual who is authorized to recruit for an IRB-approved study on behalf of the PI.
To register for recruitment access, you must meet all of the following requirements:
- Have an active research study that has been approved by an IRB
- Be an OHSU Principal Investigator (PI) or an individual who is authorized to recruit for an IRB-approved study on behalf of the PI
Recruitment access requires that you submit additional information to show that you have an active IRB-approved (or IRB-exempt) study. You will need to inform the IRB that you will be using ResearchMatch for recruitment in your IRB submission and include the text of the email that you will to send to potential participants through ResearchMatch. You can register for recruitment access once the IRB has approved your study, including the email text. For studies submitted to the OHSU IRB, there are two ways to get approval for ResearchMatch recruitment access.
- When completing the Initial Review Questionnaire (IRQ) in eIRB for a new study, answer 'yes' on question 2.7 'I would like to use ResearchMatch.org to recruit for this study.'
- At the end of the IRQ, upload the email text that you would like to send to potential participants.
- View an example of ResearchMatch recruitment text.
- Submit a modification to the study in eIRB. In the modification, check the box in question 3.1 'Change/Add/Drop Items – Advertisement'. Under question 5.0, 'Briefly describe and explain the reason for the modification', state that you would like to use ResearchMatch for recruitment.
- At the end of the modification form, upload the recruitment email text that you would like to send to potential study participants. This must be included before you submit the modification.