Questions to Ask
When Entering a Research Study
As a patient with Parkinson's disease, learning as much as you can about research studies can help you decide if participating is right for you. There are many questions that you should ask the research staff while making this decision. A few of the most important are listed here:
- Why is the study being done?
- How long will the study last?
- Where will I need to go for study visits?
- How long will each visit take?
- Who will conduct the visits?
- What tests and treatments do I have to take part in?
- Who is responsible for the payment of study visits?
- What are the benefits and the risks?
It is important to understand that there are benefits and drawbacks to all research studies. Some research studies may not benefit you directly, but will contribute to medical research, future treatment and disease prevention. Other studies may have a direct benefit to you. It is very important that you are comfortable with the possibility of either outcome.