The Alzheimer's Caregiver study
Meditation or education for caregivers of familiy members with dementia: stress and physiology (aka The Dementia Caregiver Study)
Principal Investigator: Barry Oken, M.D.
Length: 20 weeks
Visits: 6 sessions plus 3 in-person assessments
Purpose: To study stress and to compare three different interventions for caregivers of family members with dementia: 1) A one-on-one 6-week education class; 2) a one-on-one meditation class; and 3) free respite care provided 2-3 hours per week (control group).
Study Design: Subjects will be randomized to one of three intervention groups: education class, meditation class, or respite care. Physiologic correlates of stress will be measured using questionnaires including self-report measures, computer-bases cognitive tests, physiological markers (cortisol, blood draw) and EEG.
- A close relative of a person with dementia
- Providing a minimum of 12 hours per week of assistance 50-85 years old
- Willing to be randomized into any of the three intervention groups
Basis for Exclusion:
- Unstable significant medical problems, such as organ failure, insulin-dependent diabetes, uncontrolled hypertension, or alcoholism
- Evidence of significant cognitive impairment
- Significant neurologic disease, such as epilepsy, Parkinson’s disease, clinically significant stroke, or significant sleep disorder
- Significant untreated depression
- Significant visual impairment, ( best vision is worse than 20/50 binocularly)
- Certain medications that have not been stable for at least 2 months, including neuroleptics, narcotic analgesics, benzodiazepines, or barbiturates
- Not experiencing stress
Study Care & Reimbursement: All respite and classes are provided free of charge. If respite is not needed or participant wishes to use own provider, then $150 is provided.
Contact: Elena Goodrich at 503 494-5650 or email@example.com
If you are interested in volunteering for this study, please read the description of the study carefully. If you (or someone for whom you may be inquiring) meet the eligibility requirements as listed in the section entitled "Seeking Volunteers", please provide your contact information below. A study representative will contact you to discuss the study's requirements and guidelines.
Request for information
Meditation or education for caregivers of family members with dementia: Stress and Physiology (aka The Dementia Caregiver Study)