The REKNEW staff includes a very diverse group. For our various research projects, we have expertise in speech-language pathology, psychology, special education, public health, neurology & neurophysiology, computer science, biomedical engineering and systems science.
We work within the Institute on Disability & Development and the University Center for Excellence in Developmental Disabilities within OHSU.
- We specialize in addressing communication needs of adults with degenerative diseases.
- We believe in a functional approach to communication intervention.
- Our research is based on the principles of Augmentative and Alternative Communication (AAC).
- We understand the challenges that families are faced with each day when one person can no longer speak or write with the same fluidity that they are used to.
- Our research is designed to inform clinical practice and provide evidence for practice guidelines in speech-language pathology and AAC.
- Our research and teaching strategies are widely published and presented to national and international audiences.
- Funders for our work include National Institutes of Health (NIH) and the U. S. Department of Education.
Learn more about our approach and model by looking at our presentation, PowerPoint files and abstracts. In 2014, our staff includes: