GCO: Participant Incentives
Participant incentives are to compensate individuals who participate in sponsored project activities. Incentives are often small tokens of cash (Petty Cash) or pre-paid vendor cards (i.e. Fred Meyer, Target). Projects that distribute participant incentives for "research subjects" require IRB approval.
Please note that all expenses charged to a grant must be allowable per OHSU and Federal guidelines.
There are three typical methods of obtaining incentives (whether cash or pre-paid cards):
- Cash disbursement via Petty Cash procedure
- PI or designated Petty Cash custodian maintains petty cash account for disbursements
- Pre-paid cards via PORA procedure
- PI completes PORA to request purchase of pre-paid vendor cards
- Pre-paid cards via out-of-pocket payment and reimbursement
- PI pays out-of-pocket for incentives and submits Employee Reimbursement Request Form and all applicable receipts to GCO
Regardless of the method, it is the responsibility of the PI to properly store incentives and to administer and track payments.