||Professor, Department of Public Health & Preventive Medicine
- Oregon Health & Science University, Portland: 7/2011-present. Chief, Disability & Health Research Group, Institute on Development & Disability, Professor, Department of Public Health & Preventive Medicine, School of Medicine.
- Portland State University, School of Community Health. Courtesy Faculty, 11/2012-present.
- Oregon State University, College of Public Health & Human Sciences, School of Biological &
- Population Sciences. Courtesy faculty. 5/2013-present.
Dr. Andresen has a background as a trained epidemiologist and also co-trained in health services research. Her research has been primarily in the areas of outcomes of chronic disease, disability, and in aging. This work has particular focus on assessing measures of patient-centered outcomes and health-related quality of life measures. Dr. Andresen also teaches graduate public health students.
B.A., Interdisciplinary (Spanish/History), University of Washington, Seattle, 1977.
M.A., History, University of Washington, Seattle, 1979.
Ph.D., Epidemiology, University of Washington, Seattle, 1991.
- DHHS/ADD: "The University Center for Excellence in Developmental Disabilities." PI D Lollar, PhD. Investigator 10% 7/11-6/15. Current year total $535,000.
- NIDCD/NIH: "Collaborative Applied Research Supplement (Patient-Centered Research)." PI M Fried-Oken, PhD. Investigator 2% 7/1/12-6/30/13. Total $40,000
- CDC: "Oregon Office on Disability & Health." PI EM Andresen, PhD, 12%.7/01/12-6/30/15.Total $900,000.
- NIH/NICHHD: "Quantitation of Oral-Motor Function in Infants." PI R Rogers, MD. Investigator 10% 1/1/13-7/31/13. Total grant $1,754,786 from 9/24/10-7/31/13.
- NCI/NIH: "Activating Rural Clinics & Women with Disabilities to Improve Cancer Screening (R21)." PI D Buckley, MD, MPH. 3/1/12-2/28/15. Total $275,000 direct. Role: Investigator (2%).
Memberships and Associations:
- American Association on Health & Disability, American College of Epidemiology (Elected Fellow 2007),
- American Public Health Association (Epidemiology & Disability sections),
- Oregon Public Health Association (Epidemiology/Biostatistics & Disability section Board member),
- International Society for Quality of Life Research (Director, Mentoring Subcommittee),
- Society for Epidemiologic Research
- University of Washington: 1981-1984. Research Asst./Supervisor; Depts. Health Services, Medicine.
- King County Emergency Medical Services (Seattle): 1984-1986. Research Manager.
- University of Washington: 1986-1991. Teaching Asst./Assoc., Dept. Epidemiology. Research Asst./Assoc., CDC Center for Health Promotion in Older Adults, Dept. Health Services.
- Veterans Administration Medical Center, Seattle: 1988-1991. Predoctoral Fellow, Health Service Research & Development Field Program.
- University of Western Australia, Perth: 1989. Lecturer; epidemiology.
- University of Rochester School of Medicine: 1991-1996. Asst. Professor, Dept. Community Preventive Medicine.
- Saint Louis University School of Public Health: 1996-2004. Assoc. to Professor (tenured 1999). Division Director, Epidemiology.
- Rehabilitation Outcomes Research Center, VAMC: 2004-2007. Research Health Scientist, Gainesville Florida.
- University of Florida College of Public Health & Health Professions, Department of Epidemiology & Biostatistics: 2004 – 7-2011. Professor & Founding Chair (7/2006-3/2010).
- Professor, Department of Epidemiology, Colleges of Medicine; and Public Health & Health Professions (3/2010-7/2011).
- National University of Singapore: 9/2011-10/2011. Visiting Professor; Saw Swee Hock School of Public Health.
Publications: (Selected: of 115)
- Andresen EM, Malmgren JA, Carter WB, Patrick DL. Screening for depression in well older adults: evaluation of a short‑form of the CES‑D. Am J Prev Med 1994; 4: 77‑84. PMID: 8037935
- Andresen EM, Bowley N, Rothenberg BM, et al. Test‑retest performance of a mailed version of the 36-item Short-form Health Survey among older adults. Med Care 1996; 34: 1165-1170. PMID: 8962582
- Andresen EM, Rothenberg BM, Panzer R, et al. Selecting a generic measure of health-related quality-of-life for use among older adults. Eval Health Profes 1998; 21: 244-264. PMID: 1018334
- Andresen EM, Rothenberg BM, Kaplan RM. Performance of a self-administered version of the Quality of Well-Being questionnaire among older adults. Med Care 1998; 36: 1349-1360. PMID: 9749658
- Andresen EM, Fouts BS, Romeis JC, Brownson CA. Performance of health-related quality-of-life instruments in a spinal cord injured population. Arch Phys Med Rehabil 1999; 80: 877-884. PMID: 10453762
- Andresen EM, Brownson RC. Disability & health status: Ethnic differences among women in the United States. J Epidemiol Comm Health 2000; 54: 200-206. PMID: 10746114
- Andresen EM, Fitch CA, McLendon P, Meyers A. Reliability & validity of disability questions for U.S. Census 2000. Am J Public Health 2000; 90: 1297-1299. PMID: 10937013
- Andresen EM, Lollar D, Meyers AR. Disability outcomes research. Arch Phys Med Rehabil 2000; 81 (12 s 2): S1-S4.
- Meyers AR, Andresen EM. Enabling our instruments: accommodation, universal design, & assured access to participation in research. Arch Phys Med Rehabil 2000; 81(12 s 2): S5-S9. PMID: 11128904
- Andresen EM. Criteria for assessing the tools of disability outcomes research. Arch Phys Med Rehabil 2000; 81(12 s 2): S15-S20. PMID: 11128900
- Andresen EM, Meyers AR. Health-related quality of life as a disability outcomes measure. Arch Phys Med Rehabil 2000; 81(12 s 2): S30-S45.
- Andresen EM, Vahle VJ, Lollar D. Proxy reliability: Health-related quality of life measures for people with disability. Qual Life Res 2001; 10: 609-619. PMID: 11822794
- Clancy CM, Andresen EM. Meeting the health care needs of persons with disabilities: a commentary. Milbank Q 2002; 80(2): 381-391.
- Andresen EM, Catlin T, Wyrwich K, *Jackson-Thompson J. Retest reliability of surveillance questions of health related quality of life. J Epidemiol Comm Health 2003; 57(5): 339-343. PMID: 12700216
- Miller DK, Malmstrom TK, Joshi S, Andresen EM, et al. Clinically relevant levels of depressive symptoms in community-dwelling middle-aged African Americans. J Am Geriatr Soc 2004; 52: 741-748. PMID: 15086655
- Wolinsky RD, Miller DK, Andresen EM, et al. Health related quality of life in middle aged African Americans. J Gerontol SS 2004; 59B: S118-S123. PMID: 15014099
- Randolph DB, Andresen EM. Disability, gender, & unemployment relationships in the US from the Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System. Dis Society 2004: 19(4): 419-430.
- Andresen EM, Diehr P, Luke DA. Public health surveillance of low-frequency populations. Annu Rev Public Health 2004: 25-52. PMID: 15015911
- Andresen EM, Malmstrom TK, Miller DK, Miller JP, Wolinsky FD. Retest reliability of self-reported function, self-care, & disease history. Med Care 2005; 43(1): 93-97. PMID: 15626939
- Miller DK, Wolinsky FD, Malmstrom TK, Andresen EM, et al. Inner city middle aged African Americans have excess premature disability. J Gerontol: MS 2005; 60A: 207-212. PMID: 15814864
- Andresen EM, Malmstrom TK, Miller DK, Wolinsky FD. Reliability & validity of observer ratings of neighborhoods. J Aging Health 2006: 18: 28-36. PMID: 16468180
- Schootman M, Andresen EM, Wolinsky FD, et al. Neighborhood conditions & risk of incident lower-body functional limitations among middle-aged African Americans. Am J Epidemiol 2006; 163(5): 450-458. PMID: 16421245
- Andresen EM, Wolinsky FD, Miller JP, et al. Cross-sectional & longitudinal risk factors for falls, fear of falling, & falls efficacy in a cohort of middle aged African Americans. Gerontologist 2006; 46: 249-257. PMID: 16581889
- Boslaugh S, Andresen EM. Correlates of physical activity for adults with disability. Prev Chronic Dis 2006; 3(3) [serial online]:http://www.cdc.gov/pcd/issues/2006/jul/05_0207.htm]. PMID: 16776879
- Schwartz CE, Andresen EM, Nosek MA, et al. Response shift theory: Important implications for measuring quality of life in disability. Arch Phys Med Rehabil 2007; 88(4): 529-536. PMID: 17398257
- Neugaard B, Andresen EM, DeFries EL, et al. The characteristics of caregivers & care recipients: North Carolina, 2005. MMWR 2007; 56(21): 529-532. PMID: 17538528
- Schootman M, Andresen EM, Wolinsky TK, et al. Neighborhood environment & the incidence of depressive symptoms among middle-aged African Americans. J Epidemiol Commun Health 2007; 61(6): 527-532. PMID: 17496262
- Malmstrom TK, Andresen EM, Wolinsky FD, et al. Mortality risk in older inner-city African Americans. J Am Ger Soc 2007; 55: 1049-1055. PMID: 17608878
- Andresen EM, Malmstrom TK, Schootman M, et al. Rating neighborhoods for public health: results from the African American Health Study. BMC Public Health 2008: 8:35doi:10.1186/1471-2458-8-35. PMID: 18221546
- Andresen EM, Machuga R, Boorven ME, et al. Effects & costs of tracing strategies on nonresponse bias in a survey of workers with low-back injury. Public Opinion Q 2008; 72(1), 40-54.
- Jamoom EW, Horner-Johnson W, Suzuki R, Andresen EM, Campbell VA. Age of disability onset & health-related quality of life: A cross sectional study. BMC: Public Health 2008: http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2458/8/10.
- Wolinsky FD, Miller TR, Malmstrom TK, Miller JP, Andresen EM, Miller DK. Self-rated heath: Changes, trajectories, & their antecedents among African Americans. J Aging Health 2008; 20(2): 143-158. PMID: 18192487
- Froehlich-Grobe K, Andresen EM, Caburnay C, White GW. Measuring health-related quality of life for persons with mobility impairment: an enabled version of the Short-form 36 (SF-36E). Qual Life Res 2008; 17: 751-770. PMID: 18427950
- Horner-Johnson W, Krahn G, Andresen EM, Hall T. Developing summary scores of health-related quality of life for a population-based survey. Public Health Rep 2009; 124(1): 103-110. PMID: 19413032
- Boslaugh SE, Andresen EM, Recktenwald A, Gillespie K. Evidence for a potential bias in the Health & Activity Limitation Index as a health preference measure for persons with disability. Disability Health J 2009; 2(1): 20-26. PMID: 21122739
- Miller DK, Malmstrom TK, Andresen EM, et al. Development & validation of a short portable sarcopenia measure in the AAH Project. J Gerontol: MS 2009; 64(3): 388-394. PMID: 19181712
- DeFries (Bouldin) EL, McGuire LC, Andresen EM, et al. Caregivers of older adults with cognitive impairment. Prev Chron Dis 2009; 6(2): http://www.cdc.gov/pcd/issues/2009/apr/08_0088.htm. PMID: 19288989
- Winter KH, Bouldin ED, Andresen EM. Lack of choice in caregiving increases the carer's risk of stress: findings from the North Carolina BRFSS. Prev Chronic Dis 2010; 7(2): http://www.cdc.gov/pcd/issues/2010/mar/09_0037.htm.
- Brumback BA, Bouldin ED, Zheng HW, Cannell BD, Andresen EM. Testing & estimating model-adjusted effect-measure modification using marginal structural models & complex survey data. Am J Epidemiol 2010; 172(9): 1085-1091. PMID: 20801863
- Horner-Johnson W, Suzuki R, Krahn G, Andresen EM, Drum C. The structure of health-related quality of life in US populations: people with & without functional limitations. Qual Life Res 2010; 19: 977-984. PMID: 20467819
- almstrom T, Andresen EM, Wolinsky FD, et al. Predictors & correlates of urinary & fecal incontinence in middle-aged African Americans. J Am Geriatr Soc 2010; 58(10):1941-1945.
- Cannell MB, Brumback BA, Bouldin ED, Hess J, Wood DL, Sloyer PJ, Reiss JG, Andresen EM. Age group differences in health care access for people with disabilities: Are young adults at increased risk? Results from the 2007 Florida Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System. J Adolesc Health 2011; 49(2): 219-221. PMID: 21783058
- Buckley DI, Davis MM, Andresen EM. Does a standard measure of physical disability correlate with clinician perception of impairment related to cancer screening? Cancer 2012; 118(5):1345-1352. PMID: 22344617
- Hall AG, Bouldin ED, Andresen EM, Ali AK. Maintaining employment among caregivers of individuals on a Medicaid waitlist for services. J Dis Policy Studies 2012: 23(2):121-128.
- Thompson WW, Zack MM, Krahn G, Andresen EM, Barile J. Health-related quality of life among older adults with & without functional limitations. Am J Public Health 2012; 102(3): 496-502. PMID: 22390514
- Wolinsky FD, Andresen EM, Malmstrom TK, et al. Childhood school segregation & later life sense of control & physical performance in the African American Health cohort. BMC Public Health 2012; 12:827. URL: http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2458/12/827PMID: 23017218.
- Schootman M, Andresen EM, Wolinsky FD, et al. Effect of street connectivity on incidence of lower-body functional limitations among middle-aged African Americans. Ann Epidemiol 2012:22(8):568-574. PMID: 22658823
- Khoury AJ, Hall A, Andresen EM, et al. The association between chronic disease & physical disability among female Medicaid beneficiaries 18-64 years of age. Dis Health J, 2013;6(2): 141-148. PubMed PMID: 23507165.
- Bouldin ED, Andresen EM, Dunton NE, et al. Falls among hospitalized patients in the US: a national prevalence study. J Patient Safety 2013; 9(1):13-17. PubMed PMID: 23143749.
- Andresen EM, Peterson JJ, *Krahn GL, et al. Clinical preventive screenings among women with disabilities: a systematic review. Womens Health Issues: in press.