Robert Irwin, M.D., MPH
Senior Investigator, Laboratory of Dr. Charles Allen
1. Neuroscience, Circadian Rhythms.
2. Public Health, Occupational & Environmental Medicine
3. Live Cell Imaging of Intracellular Ions & Proteins
4. Neurosteroids & Neuropeptides
5. Neuropsychiatric, Neurodegenerative and Sleep disorders.
B.S. Chemistry, Portland State University, Portland, OR, 1980
M.D. Oregon Health & Science University, Portland, OR, 1985
M.P.H. Oregon Health & Science University, Portland, OR, 1999
2002 – Present
Senior Investigator, Center for Research on Occupational and Environmental Toxicology, Oregon Health & Science University, Portland, OR
1999 – Present
Consulting Internal Medicine Practice, Portland, OR
1997 – 1999
Internal Medicine Fellowship: VA Medical Center / Oregon Health & Science University, Portland, OR
1994 – 1997
Assistant Professor, Departments of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Medicine and Neurology, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, IN
1991 – 1994
National Institutes of Health, Pharmacology Fellowship, National Institute of Mental Health, Bethesda, MD
1989 – 1991
National Institutes of Health, Pharmacology Research Associate (PRAT Fellowship), National Institute of General Medical Sciences, Bethesda, MD
1988 – 1989
Clinical Neuropharmacology Fellowship, Dept of Neurology, Oregon Health & Science University, Portland, OR
1985 – 1988
Internal Medicine Internship & Residency, Providence Medical Center, Portland, OR
1980 – 1981
Research Faculty, Chemistry, Portland State University, Portland, OR
1. Irwin, RP and Allen CN. Neuropeptide mediated calcium signaling in the suprachiasmatic nucleus network. Eur. J. Neurosci. (In Press).
2. Irwin, RP and Allen CN. GABAergic signaling induces divergent neuronal Ca2+ responses in the suprachiasmatic nucleus network. Eur J Neurosci 30:1462-75, 2009.
3. Tremere LA, Pinaud R, Irwin RP, Allen CN. Postinhibitory rebound spikes are modulated by the history of membrane hyperpolarization in the SCN. Eur J. Neurosci 2008;28:1127-35.
4. Irwin RP, Allen CN. Calcium response to retinohypothalamic tract synaptic transmission in suprachiasmatic nucleus neurons. J Neurosci 2007;27(43):11748-57.
5. Li D, Parks SB, Kushner JD, Nauman D, Burgess D, Ludwigsen S, Partain J, Nixon RR, Allen CN, Irwin RP, Jakokbs PM, Litt M, Hershberger RE. Mutations of presenilin genes in dilated cardiomyopathy and heart failure. Am J Hum Genet 2006;79:1030-9.
6. Gompf HS, Irwin RP, Allen CN. Retrograde suppression of GABAergic currents in a subset of SCN neurons. Eur J Neurosci 2006;23:3209-16.
7. Moldavan MG, Irwin RP, Allen CN. Presynaptic GABA(B) receptors regulate retinohypothalamic tract synaptic transmission by inhibiting voltage-gated Ca(2+) channels. J Neurophysiol 2006;95:3727-41.
8. Gompf HS, Moldavan MG, Irwin RP, Allen CN. Nociceptin/orphanin FQ (N/OFQ) inhibits excitatory and inhibitory synaptic signaling in the suprachiasmatic nucleus (SCN). Neurosci 2005;132:955-65.
9. Glinn M, Ni B, Irwin RP, Kelley SW, S-Z. Lin S-Z and Paul SM, Inorganic Pi increases neuronal survival in the acute early phase following excitotoxic/oxidative insults. J. Neurochem. 1998; 70:1850-58.
10. Gilbert-McClain LI, Verin AD, Shi S, Irwin RP, Garcia JG. Regulation of endothelial cell myosin light chain phosphorylation and permeability by vanadate. J Cell Biochem 70:141-155, 1998.
11. Shi S, Verin AD, Schaphorst KL, Gilbert-McClain LI, Patterson CE, Irwin RP, Natarajan V, Garcia JG. Role of tyrosine phosphorylation in thrombin-induced endothelial cell contraction and barrier function. Endothelium 6:153-171, 1998.
12. Lin S-Z, Yan G-M, Koch KE, Paul SM, Irwin RP. Mastoparan-induced apoptosis of cultured cerebellar granule neurons is initiated by calcium release from intracellular stores. Brain Res 1997;771:184-95.
13. Hough CJ, Irwin RP, Gao XM, Rogawski MA, Chuang DM. Carbamazepine inhibition of NMDA-evoked calcium influx in rat cerebellar granule cells. J. Pharmacol. Exp. Ther. 276:143-149, 1996.
14. Yan G-M, Lin S-Z, Irwin RP, Paul SM. Activation of G-proteins bidirectionally affects apoptosis of cultured cerebellar granule neurons. J Neurochem 1995;65:2425-31
15. Yan G-M, Lin S-Z, Irwin RP and Paul SM. Activation of muscarinic cholinergic receptors block apoptosis of cultured cerebellar granule neurons. Mol. Pharm. 47:248-257, 1995.
16. Irwin RP, Lin S-Z, Rogawski MA, Purdy RH, Paul SM. Steroid potentiation and inhibition of N-methyl-D-aspartate receptor-mediated intracellular Ca++ responses: structure-activity studies. J Pharmacol Exp Ther 1994;271:677-82.
17. Irwin RP, Lin S, Long RT, Paul SM. N-methyl-D-aspartate induces a rapid, reversible and calcium-dependent intracellular acidosis in cultured fetal rat hippocampal neurons. J Neurosci 1994;14:1352-7.
18. Potter WZ, Irwin RP. Methods to facilitate early exploratory testing of novel psychopharmacologic agents in humans. Psychopharmacol Ser 1993; 10: 111-23.
19. Irwin RP, Maragakis NJ, Rogawski MA, Purdy RH, Farb DH, and Paul SM. Pregnenolone sulfate augments NMDA receptor mediated increases in intracellular Ca2+ in rat hippocampal neurons. Neurosci. Lett. 1992; 141: 30-34.
20. Nutt JG, Irwin RP.Principles of neuropharmacology (II) synaptic transmission, J. G. Nutt, R. P. Irwin, Textbook of Clinical Neuropharmacology and Therapeutics, 2nd Ed., Klawans et al. ed., Raven Press, Ltd, N.Y. p15-22, 1992.
21. Irwin RP, Nutt JG. Principles of neuropharmacology (I) pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics, Textbook of Clinical Neuropharmacology and Therapeutics, 2nd Ed, Klawans et al ed, Raven Press, NY p1-14 1992.
22. Irwin RP, Nutt JG, Woodward WR, Gancher ST. Pharmacodynamics of the hypotensive effect of levodopa in parkinsonian patients. Clin Neuropharmacol 1992;15:365-74.