For OHSU Departments
News & Program Updates
NOTICE (5/10/13): Guide to On-boarding Shadows & Visitors Available
We heard you! By popular demand, RAVS has put together a guide on navigating the on-boarding process for visitors - both for visitors who are at OHSU less than 30 days, and those who are here longer than 30 days. This guide can be found under "Best Practices and Recognition" website under "Miscellaneous Resources." This guide is meant to be an additional resource, and does not take place of the formal OHSU Visiting Scientists and Other Affiliates Policy.
Check it out and let us know if it's helping!
NOTICE (5/7/2013): Outstanding Volunteer Award Nominations Open!
RAVS annually awards one fantastic volunteer in each of the three "Outstanding Volunteer" award categories: Commitment to Service; Teamwork, and; Demonstrated Growth. Please take a moment to nominate your most outstanding volunteers online here: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/LJNGQ3L.
Supervisors or Coordinators can nominate one volunteer per category (please no duplicate nominations from the same department or area). Please refresh the online survey to nominate one volunteer per category at a time.
Nominations close: Friday, May 24th.
NOTICE (4/25/13): Registration Updates for May - July Volunteers
During the past three years, RAVS has learned many lessons about how to process the increased volume that comes during the summer, but to gain further insight and perspective on the matter, RAVS invited volunteer supervisors and coordinators to come to a series of focus groups to talk about lessons learned and brainstorm new ideas. Three main changes were proposed, discussed and finalized:
- Deadlines – RAVS has established four series of deadlines that, if followed, will result in a guaranteed start date. Some restrictions will apply – be sure to read up on all the details. Find all summer deadlines on the RAVS website here.
- Increased frequency of New Volunteer Orientation – To accommodate the varying schedules of summer volunteers, and to simply process the larger volume, RAVS will offer two New Volunteer Orientation Session every week of June, unless registration numbers don't warrant such frequency. Volunteers are INVITED to register for orientation – and should not sign up before RAVS has requested them to do so. Please reference the Summer Deadline Schedule for orientation dates.
- Status updates – Many of the emails RAVS receives during the summer months from OHSU personnel is an update on the registration status of their volunteer(s). To cut down on this number, and to increase RAVS' e-mail response time, a section of the RAVS website will clearly outline what documents are being currently processed based on the submission date – e.g. "RAVS is currently processing Step 1 volunteer registration packets that were submitted on XX" (similar to what ITG used to offer on their computer access request webpage).
- Expedite options – when a hosting volunteer site desires to have their volunteers' registration materials expedited, the hosting volunteer site can process the volunteer's background check, rather than RAVS coordinating this process. This can cut several days off the turnaround time for RAVS to process your volunteers. However, backgrounds will need to be requested in a very specific manner to ensure consistency, so please learn how to expedite your volunteer's materials correctly here.
- The fine print: Start dates will only be honored by RAVS if all registration materials are turned in entirely completed by each deadline outlined. Additionally, RAVS is not responsible for delayed background checks due to the volunteer's lack of participation, by OHSU's background check vendor Pre-Employ, OHSU Public Safety, or OHSU Human Resources. Delayed background checks, or incomplete registration materials will interrupt the registration process schedule above. In the event that RAVS completes registering the volunteer before the outlined start date, the volunteer is welcome to start as soon as they receive their RAVS issued OHSU ID badge.
Questions? We are always here to support you – ask away!
NOTICE (updated 5/10/13): Volunteer Supervisor Semi-Annual Luncheon
Thank you to all of you who were able to join us at our semi-annual Spring luncheon May 7th! For those of you who were unable to attend, know that you were missed.
We enjoyed great sandwiches, discussed upcoming process changes, projects and resources, and learned each other's favorite game shows!
We also want to give a very special thanks to Susan Shugerman and the Office of Science Education Opportunities for providing the funds for our delicious lunch, and their continued support of our program. Thank you!
Click here for slides from the luncheon presentation.
NOTICE (3/21/13): RAVS Invited to Author Recurring Guest-Spots on The People Equation Blog
The OHSU Research, Basic Sciences and Academics Human Resources team (RBSAHR) has recently launched an internal blog entitled The People Equation that will bring its readers "people-related topics that may assist, inspire, confirm, or simply educate." RAVS has been invited to post guest spot articles on a recurring basis – articles will focus on the needs of the hosting sites including upcoming events and deadlines, best practices, helpful resources, development opportunities, program changes and general announcements.
Please subscribe to the RSS feed, or add to your favorites – http://o2.ohsu.edu/blogs/peopleequation/feed/
Not sure how to set up RSS Feeds? Check out our Feeds + Favorites Instructions
Have ideas for RAVS guest-spot articles? Let us know!