A poison is something that can be harmful if swallowed, spilled on the skin, splashed in the eyes, or inhaled.
Call your regional poison center at 1 800 222-1222 whenever there is a poison emergency for immediate poison HELP. Every time you call the poison center, you will get immediate help from our staff.
We are here to give you fast and effective treatment information. We will help you at any time of the day or night, seven days a week.
When you call the poison center stay calm. Our staff will ask you important questions. Your answers can help us to create the best plan for your poison emergency.
Be ready to calmly tell the specialist:
- Your name and phone number,
- The name, age and weight of the poison victim,
- Any problems or symptoms the person is having,
- The name of the poison,
- The amount of the drug or poison missing.
It is important that you stay calm. Your behavior can help the poisoned person remain calm and comfortable.
Rules to Remember
Remember these important rules when there is a poison emergency:
- When a person is not breathing or moving in response to being touched or shaken, call 911 immediately. This may be a life-threatening event.
- When someone has swallowed a poison or has taken the wrong medicine, remove the medicine from their reach. Call for poison HELP (1 800 222-1222).
- Do not try to make the person vomit. Remember:
- No Syrup of Ipecac
- No attempt to gag them with a finger or spoon.
- No home remedies like salt water, mustard or raw eggs.
- Any attempts to gag or vomit the poisoning victim can make matters worse.
Call your regional poison center for help with any poison question or problem. Our poison information specialists are ready for your call at any time of the day or night.