The GreenTeam is a volunteer organization within OHSU whose members uphold a mission statement of promoting environmental sustainability and enhancement at OHSU through education, awareness, and action.
The GreenTeam formed in 2004 in response to employee's desires to strengthen OHSU's commitment to environmental sustainability. The GreenTeam recognizes OHSU's substantial environmental, economic, and social impacts on the region it serves, and asserts that OHSU must take steps to reduce its impact by implementing institution-wide sustainability commitments, operations and best practices. Only by recognizing the dependence of human health on a healthy environment – and actively working to reduce its environmental impact on the communities it serves – will OHSU be able to fully achieve its mission of "healing, teaching, and discovery."
Since the GreenTeam's inception in 2004, approximately 230 members have joined. Participation is voluntary, cross-disciplinary, and varies widely, from 'interested parties' who submit ideas via the website, to 'active members' who attend the monthly meetings. Members may participate in project task teams, event planning, research, and/or sustainability outreach.
The GreenTeam receives oversight from OHSU's Sustainability Manager and Department of Sustainable Operations. The GreenTeam is responsible for:
- Establishing annual goals for improved environmental performance, acting toward fulfillment of environmental goals, and monitoring progress toward environmental goals.
- Identifying, taking inventories of, and improving sustainability initiatives, programs, commitments, and resources at OHSU.
- Submitting annual sustainability reports to OHSU administration.
- Educating employees on sustainability best practices, policies and procedures.
- Providing sustainability resources for OHSU Members and the interested public.
- Acting as a coordinating organization for sustainability-related programs at OHSU that seek to work together.
- Raising sustainability awareness within OHSU by expanding the GreenTeam's outreach capacity, presence, and membership base.
- Meeting regularly.