Oregon AHEC in partnership with Oregon communities strives to improve the education, training and distribution of healthcare professionals in the state. We believe it is important to provide information, education and exposure to the many healthcare careers available beginning at the elementary school level.
Through career fairs, job shadowing, science clubs and other career exploration activities, student have an opportunity to be mentored by professionals and develop strategies for following a healthcare career path. Various programs are offered at AHEC Centers around the state, including:
This summer, the AHEC Program Office will run a new program called the Healthcare Pre-Professional Exploration Program (HPREP). This program will replace MedStars and provide high school students exposure to and resources for a future career in science or healthcare. The three-day summer camp seeks to:
- Encourage diverse students to study in the health and science fields
- Expand the understanding of the health care field and employment possibilities
- Provide insight into OHSU educational programs, admissions processes and financial aid
- Connect students to resources at OHSU, throughout the state and in their local community
HPREP will run from July 22-24, 2015 at OHSU. Applications will be available online on Monday, February 16, 2015.
With grant funding from the Howard Hughes Institute, Oregon AHEC has also developed the In-A-Box learning resource for teachers in Grades 4-8. This innovative learning "in-a-box" approach allows teachers an opportunity to extend their classroom teaching.
- Grade appropriate station activities with step-by-step instructions
- Books, artifacts, technology, DVDs, student reproducible materials and lesson extensions
- Oregon Content Standards included for lesson activities
Boxes are available to Oregon teachers at NO charge, delivery and pickup provided, and may be borrowed up to 3 weeks.
The In-A-Box program is administered through Northeast Oregon AHEC