We are passionate about breastfeeding
OHSU lactation specialists are available every day of the year to help you and your baby get off to a healthy start. OHSU also offers breastfeeding classes for early preparation.
We are here to help you get started
In the first hour after birth, we will encourage as much skin-to-skin contact as possible. Your body is a natural warmer for your baby and early contact can help with breastfeeding. Above all, this is a special bonding time for you and your baby.
During your stay, a lactation consultant can come to your room to answer questions and help you with any breastfeeding concerns.
After you go home
During the following weeks, as you get started in breastfeeding, we are available for appointments or by phone to help you along. Many women leave the hospital before (or just as) their milk comes in so this help after your hospital stay is very important. We are here for you!
You can expect
- Care from certified lactation consultants and nurses
- In-room consultation on early breastfeeding
- Urgent consultations should any problems arise
- Respect for your interests and choices
- 24-hour lactation support and supplies
- Our gift shop carries electric breast pumps