Our certified genetic counselors can:
- Consult with you and evaluate your genetic risk factors before conception and/or before pregnancy.
- Help you understand and decide between prenatal screening and diagnostic testing options
- Coordinate genetic testing and prenatal diagnosis such as amniocentesis and chorionic villus sampling (CVS)
- Offer expert advice on genetic testing or carrier screening based on your ethnic background or family history
- Provide you with education, support and counseling about genetic conditions or birth defects that can be diagnosed before childbirth.
You may benefit from seeing a genetic counselor if you:
- Are pregnant, especially if you will be 34 years of age or more when your baby is born.
- Have had a child with a chromosome abnormality, birth defect or other genetic condition.
- Are a carrier of a known chromosome rearrangement.
- Have a family history of a genetic condition or birth defect.
- Have had a positive screening test during your current pregnancy.
- Are at increased risk due to ultrasound findings.
- Have been exposed to medication, drugs or other dangerous substances during your current pregnancy.
- Are interested in carrier screening based on your ethnic background.