Birthing Suites in Labor Delivery
Labor and delivery - OHSU Hospital in Portland, Oregon
Our dedicated team is here to help you through the birth of your baby.
The Family Birth Center was designed with your family's comfort and care needs in mind. Our specialized equipment and services are available around the clock to provide care during your labor and childbirth.
Your birth plan
Your care team will carefully review your birth plan. They will continue working with you as your labor progresses and throughout the birth of your baby. We are honored to be a part of this exciting event.
We take your pain relief preferences seriously.
You'll have a variety of choices to help you give birth with little or no pain medication. Techniques include hydrotherapy, water birth, birthing balls and stools, massage, walking, breathing and more.
For moms wanting additional relief, a dedicated anesthesiologist is on-hand 24-hours a day, every day of the year with pain relief options not available in any other area hospital.
Tools to keep you and your labor moving along
Many women find that moving and walking helps their labor progress. Large rooms, spacious hallways and wireless monitors are all here to help you keep moving. And our team is here to help you find movment options and laboring positings that work for your body.
Expertise and support you can count on
We want to help you have the birth experience you have been hoping for. Your nurse will stay close by to support your labor, answer any questions and help you understand what may be coming next.
A passion for education
OHSU nursing and medical schools are nationally recognized and highly competitive. Our residents (doctors in training), fellows (fully trained docs undergoing extended training), and nurse-midwifery students are among the top in the nation. We think you will find their presence helpful and learning opportunities educational. Rest assured, you always have a choice about who participates in your care. Ask questions. Talk to us. And please let your preferences be known.
You can expect
- Experienced nurses, dedicated to your birthing support
- Staff who are fully engaged and supportive of natural birth
- 24-hour physician, certified nurse-midwife, anesthesiologist and other specialists on-site
- Attention to your birth plan
- Inclusion of your birth partner and/or doula
- Respect for your interests and choices
- Wireless, waterproof fetal monitoring (if needed)
- Private bathroom with jetted tub and shower
- Doernbecher NICU just steps away
- Free WiFi
- Room service
- Family waiting room with toys and vending
- Multiple coffee shops and restaurants for visiting family