OHSU Fibroid Program
Complete fibroid evaluation and care
We provide complete, multidisciplinary care for women with known or suspected fibroids. We offer a unique multidisciplinary evaluation service and more treatment options than you will find anywhere else, including medications, minimally invasive surgery and non-surgical procedures such as high-intensity focused ultrasound (HIFU). Our goals in your care are to:
- Provide comprehensive multidisciplinary consultation and recommendations for fibroid management personalized to each patient
- Inform patients about the full range of fibroid treatment options including treatments available through OHSU clinical trials
- Effectively treat fibroids to relieve symptoms and meet each patients' goals for care
Fibroid Case Review and Evaluation Service
What to expect: Before your appointment
We will contact you to complete necessary forms and to discuss the records we will request from your primary care provider. Our team will review your medical history and ultrasound imaging, as well as your individual fibroid-related symptoms and quality of life concerns. Depending on your case, we may need to ask you for more information for your appointment.
At your case review and evaluation
We bring the experts together to focus on your care. For women who want help evaluating different fibroid treatment options, we begin your care with a case review and evaluation. This evaluation involves treatment recommendations from expert medical providers in multiple specialties including gynecology, interventional and diagnostic radiology, reproductive endocrinology and infertility, and other services as indicated by the particular situation, such as complementary and alternative medicine.
At your appointment
At your appointment, our gynecologists will explain the recommendations developed by our multidisciplinary team. We will also discuss any OHSU clinical trials that may benefit you. We will provide you with the information you need to choose the treatment option that will best address your symptoms. Then we will help you schedule the necessary treatments.
Fibroid Treatment Options
- Medication management. This can include such treatments as tranexamic acid, Lupron depot and IUDs.
- MR-guided high-intensity focused ultrasound (HiFU), also known as uterine fibroid embolization. OHSU is the only provider in the region using HiFU to treat uterine fibroids for those patients who qualify to participate in our clinical trial.
- Uterine artery embolization, which is a minimally invasive treatment that cuts off supply to fibroids so that they shrink on their own.
- Endometrial ablation
- Myomectomy (hysteroscopic, laparoscopic or abdominal)
- Minimally invasive hysterectomy (partial or total)
- Complex hysterectomy
As a regional and national leader in women’s health, we offer multiple opportunities for patients to participate in clinical trials, which currently include MR-guided high-intensity focused ultrasound (HiFU), and, soon, new fibroid medications.
HiFU is a noninvasive, nonsurgical procedure which provides similar results to uterine artery embolization without incisions or significant patient downtime and side effects. OHSU is the only provider in the region using HiFU to treat uterine fibroids for those patients who qualify to participate in our clinical trial. To learn about our current clinical trials, please call 503 418-4500.