Evaluation for Fertility
COMPLETE FERTILITY EVALUATION FOR MEN AND WOMEN
We offer a number of ways to evaluate your reproductive health and your chances of becoming pregnant. We will meet with you to discuss your medical history and gather information that will help us best treat you. Our team will recommend testing options to help us further define and understand your specific fertility challenges. Any suggestions we offer will be based on your specific conditions and personal preferences.
After a full evaluation, your doctor can give you an idea of your chances of achieving pregnancy. We will discuss various treatment options with you. The choice of which treatment to pursue, if any, is strictly a personal one. When choosing a treatment plan, you will want to consider several important factors including:
- Side effects
- Risk of multiple births (which is increased with some infertility treatments)
- Expected success rates
The procedures and intimate questions involved in a fertility evaluation can be difficult. Please tell your doctor about your concerns and frustrations. If you would like some psychological support, we can help you with that too.
At OHSU, we offer a variety of tests that can help us identify what may be causing your fertility challenges.
Fertility tests for women may include:
- Blood tests to determine hormone levels, viral conditions, blood type and Rh factor
- Hysterosalpingogram (HSG)
- Saline infusion sonography (SIS)
- Clomiphene citrate challenge test (CCCT)
Fertility tests for men may include:
- Comprehensive semen analysis
- Sperm function testing (also called sperm penetration assay)
- DNA integrity (SCSA)
- Comprehensive urological work up