Tubal Patency with Hormonal Contraceptives Share This OHSU Content

Clinical Trial Seeking Participants

eIRB study # 10103 (PI:  Jeffrey Jensen, MD, MPH)

The Women’s Health Research Unit is conducting a study looking at contraceptive effects on fallopian tubes.

Trial Status: 

  • Open to Enrollment

Why is this study being done?

Female permanent contraception, or sterilization, is widely used and very effective. However, it is the only method of contraception that requires surgery. The development of a non-surgical method of permanent contraception will help women avoid surgery and give them another contraceptive choice. The purpose of this study is to learn about how menstrual cycles and hormonal contraceptives affect tubal patency. Normally there is an opening between the tube and uterus to permit the flow of fluid and cells. If this opening is blocked, this can result in infertility. Tubal patency is when a woman's fallopian tubes are not blocked. Tubal patency is determined by hysteron-(uterus)salpingo-(fallopian tube)graphy (HSG), an X-ray test. This study requires up to 3-5 studies and will take approximately 6 months to complete.


Who is eligible to participate?

Women who are between the ages of 18 and 40 who:
  • Have normal menstrual cycles that occur every 24-37 days 
  • Are in good health
  • Are not currently using hormonal contraception or an intrauterine device OR have had at least one complete menstrual cycle since stopping hormonal contraception or an intrauterine device
  • Have not undergone bilateral tubal ligation or tubal surgery
  • Are willing to take hormonal contraception as part of study participation

What is the compensation for this study?

Eligible female subjects who complete the study will receive a maximum of $1,160 compensation for their participation.

Who do I contact for additional information?

To find out more information and to learn if you are qualified to participate, fill out the online form or call the Women’s Health Research Unit confidential recruitment line.

Complete the Online Form or call 503-494-3666