Myo-inositol in Pregnancy
Purpose of the study is to learn if myo-inositol supplements (supplement in the B-vitamin family) affect your blood sugar and how your body processes food for energy.
The Maternal-Fetal Medicine Research Unit is studying myo-inositol supplementation in pregnancy.
Qualifications to participate:
Pregnant <28 weeks gestation
Plus any of the following
- Gestational diabetes mellitus currently
- Family history of diabetes mellitus
- Polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS)
- Body mass index prior to pregnancy is >30
- History of gestational diabetes mellitus in a prior pregnancy
Participation: Your active participation in the study includes 4 office study visits over a 10 day period, blood and urine samples at each of your first 3 visits, keeping a food diary for 7 days, and checking your blood sugars 4 times per day over a 7 day period. The first study visit will be 1-2 hours and each following visit will be approximately 15-30 minutes in duration.