Cerebral palsy (CP) is a group of conditions caused by brain damage. The brain damage affects the brain’s ability to control the muscles. People with CP have problems with coordination, posture, speech and other functions.
Causes of cerebral palsyCauses of cerebral palsy include:
- Brain damage before birth
- Brain damage during birth
- Premature birth
- Pediatric stroke
- Hypoxic Ischemic Encephalopathy
Symptoms of cerebral palsy include:
- Intellectual or cognitive impairment
- Problems with vision, speech or hearing
- Gross motor issues
- Fine motor issues
The OHSU Spine Center doctors work with experts at OHSU Doernbecher Children’s Hospital to treat cerebral palsy.