Sciatica is a sharp or shooting pain that starts in your lower back and down your leg. It is caused by inflammation or irritation of the sciatic nerve or other nerves around this area, and can create low back, buttocks and leg pain into the foot.
Sciatica treatment options
- Alpha-Stim® treatment: This is a small, handheld device that delivers an electric current directly to where you are experiencing pain.
- BOTOX® treatment: If your sciatic pain is caused by the muscles surrounding the nerve, you may be a candidate for BOTOX injections.
- Health psychology: Psychological treatments are an important part of pain management. Understanding and managing the thoughts, emotions and behaviors that accompany the discomfort can help you cope more effectively with your pain and can reduce the intensity of your pain. Pain psychologists focus on teaching you skills such as stress management strategies so you can engage in the activities which are most meaningful to you leading to an improved quality of life.
- Medication management: We can work with your primary care provider to help manage pain through medication.
- Mindfulness: If you have sciatica, we will work together with you to develop some lifestyle changes that may lead to a reduction in your back pain. This might include herbal and natural therapies and stress management.
- Physical therapy (PT): Physical therapists specialize in working with your body's musculoskeletal and nerve systems. They can help evaluate your body's alignment and movement patterns that cause you pain, and design a treatment program for your needs.
- Rolfing and massage are excellent therapies to help with pain control.