Irregular Heartbeat

Ask the Heart Expert


I have an irregular heartbeat. What’s the best way to treat it?


Another term for an irregular heartbeat is arrhythmia. The best treatment depends on the type you have. For a mild type, you may not need any treatment. With other types, you may need medication. Serious arrhythmias may require an electrical device such as a pacemaker or defibrillator, or a procedure called catheter ablation

At OHSU's Arrhythmia & Heart Rhythm Clinic, we have cardiologists who are world leaders in treating heart rhythm problems. We also have Oregon’s only dedicated robotics laboratory for ablation procedures. These procedures treat small areas of heart tissue that are causing an irregular heartbeat. This can eliminate the need for long-term drug treatments.

To learn more about your treatment options, or get more information about OHSU’s Arrhythmia and Heart Rhythm Program, call 503 494-1775.

Ask an expert your questions about irregular heartbeats and arrythmiaIf you’re at risk of heart disease or have signs of the disease, your doctor may recommend a CT scan. For more information, talk to your doctor or contact OHSU’s Knight Cardiovascular Institute at 503 494-1775.

This Q&A does not constitute medical advice. For specific medical advice regarding testing, evaluation or diagnosis, consult your healthcare provider or a licensed healthcare professional.