Pediatric Ear, Nose, & Throat
Our pediatric center
Doctors Ericka King, Derek Lam, Carol MacArthur, Henry Milczuk, Mark Richardson, and Nurse Practitioners Kandice Bowman and Monica Deshpande provide care for all types of ear, nose, and throat problems that affect children. With the help of our friendly staff, Crystal, Myrihe, Alex, Brandi, Huong, Jenny, Tracy and Jennifer, we strive to provide compassionate, family-centered, and timely care for our patients. Because our training was focused on pediatric care, we only take care of children (and their families). We have clinics at OHSU-Doernbecher Children's Hospital in Portland (Physicians Pavilion, 3147 SW Sam Jackson Park Road, 97239) and in the Bethany Village in Beaverton at our Westside Clinic (15220 NW Laidlaw Road, 97229). Our
Dr MacArthur specializes in patients with hemangiomas and vascular birthmarks. Dr Milczuk specializes in patients with speech and voice problems. Kandice supports our patients with breathing problems that require tracheostomy. However, we all share an interest in seeing all children who may have ear, nose, throat, head and neck problems. We frequently attend regional and national meetings in our specialty, which allows us to bring the latest and best practices to our patients in Portland and Oregon.
Both Drs MacArthur and Milczuk have been named as one of Portland's Best Doctors for the past several years. Dr Richardson is the Dean of the OHSU Medical School.
Together, we focus our expertise and technology to the unique needs of children and families. Children require a different approach to their medical care than do adults. While children and adults can sometimes have similar diseases, children require a different approach because they are not simply "small adults". We work as a team to provide excellent and directed care for the problems and diseases of children.
Some of the conditions our Pediatric Otolaryngologists treat are:
- Middle ear conditions, such as chronic (repeated) ear infections
- Evaluation and management of hearing loss, including traditional hearing evaluation and implantable hearing devices such as Cochlear Implants
- Congenital malformations of the ear, such as microtia and aural atresia
- Tonsils and adenoid disorders, including obstructive sleep apnea syndrome
- Evaluation and treatment of sinus disease in children
- Environmental allergies that affect the sinus or ear disease
- Treatment of patients with cleft lip and palate, and related speech disorders
- Velopharyngeal insufficiency - hypernasality or airleak with speech
- Evaluation and treatment of voice disorders
- Surgical management of airway disorders, such as laryngomalacia, tracheomalacia, subglottic stenosis, papillomas, vocal cord paralysis, vocal nodules
- Head and neck growths, cancer, or masses (benign or cancerous)
- Hemangiomas, vascular malformations, and lymphatic malformations (cystic hygromas)
- OK-432 sclerotherapy
- A team approach to the care of the medically complex children, working with other doctors or specialists, to treat conditions such as cystic fibrosis, hematologic disorders, Down syndrome, pediatric cardiac disease, etc.
- Swallowing disorders
- Evaluation and treatment of the ear, nose, or throat conditions caused by or a result of gastroesophageal reflux
- Disease in the infant and child
- Removal of foreign bodies from the ear, nose, or throat
Our faculty is also devoted to research that will further the science of pediatric ear, nose, and throat care and, as such, will help us treat our patient with the most up-to-date techniques, medicine and information.
How to Make an Appointment
Please contact our office regarding scheduling appointments. Prior to scheduling an appointment, our providers often need to review chart notes related to the reason you want to be seen in order to coordinate any additional tests they may need in order to make the most of your visit. In some cases, we will require a referral from your primary care physician. We would be happy to discuss this with you to ensure we have all we need to expedite the scheduling process. Please contact us by phone or email to begin the process.
Phone: Pediatric Otolaryngology Clinic 503 494-5350
Our doctors and nurse practitioner see patients in the Physician's Pavilion and Doernbecher Children's Hospital in the main OHSU campus, and also at the Doernbecher Children's Hospital Westside Clinic.