Oregon Hearing Research Center
About the Oregon Hearing Research CenterOverview
The Oregon Hearing Research Center (OHRC) was founded in 1966 under the Department of Otolaryngology/Head and Neck Surgery at the Oregon Health & Science University as the Kresge Hearing Research Laboratory.
The Center currently occupies a 12,259 square-foot facility in the Hatfield Research Center (HRC) and 10,315 square feet in the Medical Research Building (MRB) at OHSU and houses support laboratories for electronics, electron microscopy, confocal microscopy, molecular biology, digital photography and histology.
- Conducts basic and clinical research on the inner ear.
- Offers research fellowships to U.S. and foreign scientists.
- Trains students and residents in otolaryngology and auditory neuroscience.
- Collaborates with colleagues from other OHSU departments, such as the Vollum Institute and the Knight Cancer Institute, and with the Portland VA Medical Center and the National Center for Rehabilitative Auditory Research (NCRAR).
The faculty and staff of the OHRC strive toward:
- A thorough understanding of the auditory and vestibular system.
- Continually developing and testing new chemical, mechanical and electrical solutions for resolving hearing problems.
Our productive team, credited with significant scientific discoveries and with pioneering treatments and technologies, is multi-disciplinary and is made up of:
- The Center Director
- Primary Investigators / Instructors
- Research assistants and associates
- Microscopy technicians
- Administrative professionals
Current research funding comes from the National Institutes of Health, the American Otological Society, the Medical Research Foundation of Oregon, NASA, the Department of Veterans Affairs, the Department of Defense and the Hearing Health Foundation.
Our researchers and our center
If you would like to know more about our research and the researchers at the Oregon Hearing Research Center, please click on the links in the navigation bar above.
If you have any questions, or would like to speak with one of our researchers or staff members, please feel free to contacts us.
The Oregon Hearing Research Center
Oregon Health & Science University
3181 SW Sam Jackson Park Road
Portland, OR 97239-3098
OHRC 503 494-8032
OHRC FAX 503 494-5656
T.D.D. 503 494-0910