Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy (Gastric Sleeve)
- Removes 60% - 80% of the stomach.
- Gastric restrictive procedure
- Reduces size of the stomach
- Removes the part of the stomach that produces the hunger-stimulating hormone.
- Digestive system remains intact.
- Expectation of 60% excess weight loss.
- Procedure is not reversible; can be converted to Roux-en-Y bypass if necessary
- Due to this procedure being purely restrictive, inadequate weight loss is more likely than with a procedure involving intestinal bypass.
Not all insurance benefits cover the Sleeve Gastrectomy procedure. Please be sure and determine your personal coverage by contacting your provider.
OHSU is the premier bariatric surgery center for the treatment of obesity in Portland, Oregon. We look forward to serving you. Please contact us at 503-494-1983.