OHSU residents receive the following benefits:
- Three weeks of annual paid vacation
- Three weeks of additional paid leave for absence from service due to illness, bodily injury and necessity for medical or dental care or because of illness or death in the immediate family of the resident or his/her spouse.
- UniversityFlex package which gives residents the freedom to choose from a variety of medical, dental, disability and life insurance options.
- Voluntary retirement plan
- Lab coats, business cards, pagers, long-distance authorization codes and scrubs
Living in Portland
Opportunities for outdoor recreation abound. Nearby rivers and lakes invite swimming, fishing, sailing and other water sports. Mt. Hood has a year-round ski area and is only an hour's drive away. The beautiful Oregon coast can be reached in about 90 minutes. Oregon is famous for its varied terrain of rivers, lakes, desert, national forests and parks.
Oregon's climate ranges from cool in the forests of the Cascade Mountains to arid in Eastern Oregon's deserts. Temperatures in Portland average a mild 72 degrees in summer and 42 degrees in winter.
Parking & Transportation
Parking is limited on the university grounds. A space, however, is always assured for every resident. Parking is available at a reduced cost for residents and can be automatically deducted on a pre-tax basis from paychecks. Alternatively, TriMet passes for Portland-area bus and MAX light-rail services are provided at substantially reduced prices by OHSU. These passes can be used for all Portland-Metro transit service, seven days a week, 24 hours a day.
Read about specific OHSU residency program policies at the Office of Graduate Medical Education.