Robotic Surgery for Gynecology
OHSU gynecologists were the first in Oregon to perform robotic-assisted surgery for gynecologic conditions using the da Vinci Surgical Robot. At OHSU, specially trained urogynecologists, gynecologic cancer specialists and general gynecologists use the robot to perform surgical procedures with unmatched precision and control, using only a few small incisions.
Robotic technology allows surgeons to perform complex gynecologic surgery, such as pelvic floor reconstruction and gynecologic cancer surgeries easier and quicker with smaller incisions (less than a centimeter each) than regular open surgery.
Robotic surgery provides:
- precise 3-D view of the abdominal and pelvic area
- instruments move just like the surgeon’s hand – they are not locked in place on a straight stick like regular laparoscopic instruments.
Gynecological conditions we treat with robotic surgery include:
- Prolapse (falling) of pelvic organs (sacrocolpopexy)
- Removal of uterine fibroids (myomectomy)
- Some ovarian cysts and masses
- Hysterectomy both total and supracervical
- Some gynecologic cancers including uterine and cervical
Advantages of Robotic Surgery for Gynecology
Robotic surgery can offer numerous potential benefits over traditional approaches, including:
- Less discomfort after surgery
- Fewer complications
- Shorter hospital stay
- More rapid recovery