General Thoracic Surgery
The Section of General Thoracic Surgery, itself within the Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery at OHSU, was established in 2002. We are the first of our kind in Oregon with board certified cardiothoracic surgeons specializing exclusively in general thoracic surgery. Our core mission is to provide all of our patients and their families with the best possible care. In addition, we are the only training program for general thoracic surgeons in the state.
Our Commitment to Oregon and the Pacific Northwest is to:
- Offer high quality and compassionate clinical thoracic surgery services to our patients
- Provide twenty-four hour availability of a general thoracic surgeon for consultation
- Train future cardiothoracic surgeons
- Teach future general surgeons, medical students, and physician assistants
- Conduct clinical research, advancing innovative and safe techniques and treatments
- Offer multidisciplinary inpatient and outpatient care of thoracic diseases
- Offer coordinated care with your local hospital and physicians to best suit patients; needs
Areas of Expertise:
- Lung cancer
- Esophageal cancer
- Mediastinal tumors
- Chest wall tumors
- Pleural disease, including mesothelioma
- Surgery for COPD
- Primary hyperhidrosis
- Pectus excavatum
- Alveolar proteinosis
- Airway stenting
- Esophageal perforation
Because of our specialization in thoracic surgery, we are able to offer a complete range or treatment options including minimally invasive lung, esophageal, and mediastinal surgery as well as complex lung sparing techniques.
Services At This Clinic
All pulmonary resections All minimally-invasive thoracic surgery Esophageal resections Chest wall resections Mediastinal tumor resections
Mithran Sukumar, M.D.
Lung Cancer, Esophageal Cancer, Thoracic Surgery, Minimally Invasive Thoracic Surgery
Ileana Esquivel, MPAS, PA-C
Daniel Werle, RN, ACNP
Surgery, Thoracic Surgery
Laura Shula, MPAS, PA-C
Brandon Tieu, M.D.
Lung Cancer, Esophageal Cancer, Thoracic Surgery, Minimally Invasive Thoracic Surgery, Thymoma and Thymic Malignancies, Robotic-Assisted Minimally-Invasive Surgery (Cardiothoracic)