Surgeries at OHSU Casey Eye Institute are in the main Portland building on Marquam HIll (top of the tram). Our building is at the corner of SW Terwilliger and Campus Drive. Surgery is on the 6th floor. Parking is free for patients on floors 1-3 of our adjacent parking structure.
Surgery phone number: 503 494-3300
Main Casey Eye Institute phone number: 503 494-3000
3375 SW Terwilliger Blvd
Portland, OR 97239
We provide surgical care to all patient populations. This includes:
- refractive error
- corneal abrasion
- corneal dystrophy
- foreign body in the eye
- ocular and orbital trauma
- open-angle glaucoma
- closed angle glaucoma
- lacrimal system disorder
- penetrating injury
- IOL complications
- neuro-ophthalmic disease
- retinal dystrophy
- retinal detachment
- macular degeneration
- diabetic retinopathy
Patient care is provided for both in and out patients on a scheduled as well as emergent basis. 98% of the patients are cared for on an out patient basis with the remaining 2% being in hospital patients. We do over 4,000 cases per year.
The unit is staffed to be fully operational between the hours of 6 a.m. and 7:30 p.m., Monday through Thursday. Holidays and all other hours are considered emergency hours and staffed with on call staff members.
The pre and post operative area of the unit is staffed between the hours of 0600 and 1930, Monday through Thursday. Registered Nurses in the pre and post anesthesia care area of the unit provide 1:1, 1:2, 1:3 or 1:4 nursing care for the surgical patient in accordance with the patient’s acuity. A Certified Nursing Assistant assists nurses with patient care activities. Clerical support is provided by an office specialist.
The operating rooms are staffed with a combination of Registered Nurses and Surgical Technicians between the hours of 0700 and 1930.; Registered Nurses may be assigned the role of scrub or circulator while the technicians only fill the scrub role. The RN in the operating room provides care to the surgical patient scheduled for a procedure in a single operating room during the nurse’s given shift of duty. During the regular hours of operation this unit is supported by sterile processing technicians, an anesthesia technician, an administrative assistant, a surgery schedule coordinator and a materials manager and an anesthesia technician.
Emergency hours and weekends are staffed with a team of on call personnel. The team may be composed of a combination of two RNs and one technician or three RNs. The on call personnel have a thirty minute response time.