OHSU

History

OHSU's Department of Ophthalmology was founded in 1945 under the leadership of Dr. Kenneth C. Swan.   In the late 1980's Research to Prevent Blindness sponsored a capital campaign for their seventh and last regional eye research institute, to be built around the team of very successful researchers and clinicians at OHSU.  In 1991, under the leadership of Dr. Fritz Fraunfelder, the Department moved into a 100,000 square foot  free standing facility named after James and George Casey, founders of United Parcel Service. 

Chairmen

The following physicians have served as department chairmen for Casey:

Kenneth C. Swan, M.D., 1945-1978. Dr. Swan , who founded the Department of Ophthalmology in 1945 passed away in early 2007 after a long and illustrious career.

Frederick T. Fraunfelder, M.D., 1978-1997. Under Dr. Fraunfelder's direction Casey Eye Institute was founded on the Oregon Health & Science University campus and opened in 1991.

Joe E. Robertson, M.D., M.B.A.,1997-2005. Under his direction, a team of highly trained and internationally acclaimed M.D.s and Ph.D.s earned Casey Eye Institute recognition as one of the top eye care and research centers in the country. Dr. Robertson became dean of the OHSU School of Medicine in 2005, and became president of Oregon Health & Science University in 2006.

David J. Wilson, MD, 2005-present. Dr. Wilson has overseen Casey Eye Institute's expansion into the OHSU Biomedical Research Building, where research teams occupy a full floor. Under his direction, Casey Eye Institute also opened a second clinic location at OHSU's Center for Health and Healing.

Casey Eye Institute remains committed to exemplary patient care and innovative research. Other goals include improving eye care worldwide through our new international ophthalmology programs and carrying on our tradition of outstanding education for residents and community physicians.