Community Cancer Health Education
The OHSU Knight Cancer Institute community cancer health education team works with community organizations to assess, identify and address the cancer needs in their local community.
Our vision is to reduce the impact cancer has on individuals, their families, the communities in which they live and ultimately, to save lives. Our Community Health Educators serve as a bridge between academic research and communities. Through innovative outreach strategies we engage communities across Oregon to address local cancer health disparities of at-risk and underrepresented populations in Oregon.
- Assess needs and resources of local communities
- Develop and implement innovative cancer education programs
- Increase awareness through dissemination of evidence-based information on cancer prevention, early detection, treatment and survivorship
- Provide opportunities for community research to build local capacity
- Establish sustainable partnerships with national, community and civic organizations
- Enhance academic researchers’ understanding of the needs across Oregon communities
Our Core Activities
Create and nurture effective strategies and programs throughout Oregon. Learn more about our core activities.
Our Partners and Collaborators
We work with any private or public community-based agency or organization either focused on reducing cancer disparities and/or serving target populations. This includes schools, health departments, hospitals/clinics, non-profit organizations, government agencies, etc.
We believe partnership and collaboration are key to having far-reaching impact.