Medical Therapy for Sarcoma
Medical oncologists treat cancer with drugs and therapies other than surgery and radiation. The medical oncology team uses chemotherapy, powerful medications that can kill cancer cells. Doctors also use targeted biologic agents, which are designed to destroy cancer cells without harming healthy tissue.
Our specialists have access to the most advanced treatments for sarcoma, from the latest chemotherapy medications to a variety of research studies that are only available at the OHSU Knight Cancer Institute.
At our sarcoma clinic, we will work with you to develop a treatment plan based on your specific cancer. This may include:
- Chemotherapy before or after surgery or radiation treatment
- Chemotherapy given at the same time as radiation
- Chemotherapy, immunotherapy or targeted therapy (biologics) together or separately
- Clinical trials (research studies) of new anticancer medications or other treatments
We strive to select the very best treatment strategy for you. We will consider your tumor and prognosis and your values and priorities.
Our sarcoma cancer doctors are also scientists. They are involved in the latest research on sarcoma treatment. At the OHSU Knight Cancer Institute, you will have access to the latest clinical trials (research studies). Trials might offer new treatments that are not available to the general public.
- Pain medication
- Anti-nausea medication
- Counseling and emotional support for you and your family.