Molecular Genetics Fellowship
The training is a two year program in the OHSU Knight Cancer Institute, Knight Diagnostic Laboratories within the Molecular Diagnostic Center. Fellows learn both technical and reporting components for clinical molecular genetic testing in the laboratory.?
Technologies within our laboratory include
- DNA extraction
- Polymerase chain reaction (PCR) testing
- Quantitative PCR
- Melting curve analysis
- Southern blotting
- Oligoligation assays
- Restriction digestion analysis
- Sanger sequencing
- Allele-discrimination analysis
- Trinucleotide repeat size analysis
- Methylation analysis
- Multiplex-ligation-dependent probe amplification
- Liquid bead array
- Next generation sequencing
- Custom microarray analysis for gene deletions/duplications.?
- Diagnostic and prenatal diagnostic
- Carrier screening
- Predictive presymptomatic sex determination
- Zygosity determination.?
The laboratory specializes in rare disorders and cancer tests and is currently developing next generation sequencing panels. The fellow trainee will have the opportunity to develop and validate new clinical tests and participate in research projects. The laboratory training is directed by Sue Richards, Ph.D