Prostate Cancer Survivorship Program
The Knight Cancer Institute Prostate Cancer Survivorship Clinic was established to address the unique challenges faced by prostate cancer survivors.
Now that you’ve completed your prostate cancer treatment at OHSU Knight Cancer Institute, you may wonder, “What’s next?” You might find some challenges when returning to everyday life while adjusting to changes that have occurred both physically and emotionally during your cancer treatment.
Recognizing these changes and knowing where to find support to address them during this period of transition can be very reassuring for you and your family.
About the Prostate Cancer Survivorship Program
The Prostate Cancer Survivorship Program is here to provide patients and their families with important information and support. Our program provides a personalized treatment summary with a clear plan for follow-up visits and scheduling any necessary labs or imaging. Additionally we address wellness education for the future, this may include referrals for psychosocial support groups, nutritional counseling, genetic counseling, physical therapy, integrative medicine, pain control and other specialty treatments.
Possible Side Effects and Symptoms Related to Prostate Cancer Treatment:
- Change in skin texture
- Urinary symptoms such as frequency and urgency as well as urinary incontinence
- Irritable bowel symptoms
- Sexual dysfunction related to nerve damage
- Hot flash discomfort related to hormonal treatments
- Depression or anxiety over illness or financial matters
- Low self-esteem related to changes in bodily functions (especially erectile dysfunction or infertility)
- Changes in intimate relationships related to sexual dysfunction
- Job changes or accommodations in a current job related to illness and recovery
- Limitations in ability to participate in social activities and sports due to persistent urinary symptoms
Prostate Cancer Survivorship Program Referral Information
If you have had radiation treatment at OHSU Knight Cancer Institute for prostate cancer, you will have an automatic referral to this program from radiation medicine for a visit between six to 12 months after treatment has ended. The survivorship visit will take place at the same time a follow-up visit would normally occur. If you are seen in another specialty only (e.g., Urology, Hematology Oncology) for your cancer treatments, you will need to ask your provider to refer you for a survivorship visit with Radiation Medicine.
To schedule an appointment, please call 503 494-8756 and ask to schedule a survivorship appointment. You will be asked what type of cancer you had and when you finished treatment.
Our clinic is located at OHSU, 3181 SW Sam Jackson Park Dr. Portland, OR 97239. You will find us in the Kohler Pavilion, of the hospital, on the 4th floor.