Cancer Support Services at Community Clinics
Many aspects of life may be touched or altered as a result of cancer and its treatments. At the OHSU Knight Cancer Institute, we have a team of providers ready to help you handle any changes that come your way.
Everyone has different needs throughout their cancer treatment and recovery. Whether you need support from a social worker, help returning to work after treatment or a place to share your experience as a caregiver, OHSU Knight Cancer Institute has a service for you.
Specialty-trained cancer social workers are available to provide support and help you and your family cope with cancer.
At the OHSU Knight Cancer Institute our social workers are an important part of your care team. They have a broad understanding of cancer, cancer treatment, survivorship, community resources, palliative care, hospice care, grief and bereavement.
Social workers are available in several clinics and by phone to work with you on the following types of issues:
- Short-term counseling
- Support to your caregivers and family
- Help facilitate communication between patients and their medical team
- Assistance with adjustment to new diagnosis
- Mental health recommendations and referrals
- Information and referrals for community-based services
- Grief and loss support
- Assistance in mediating family conflict
- Transportation, lodging/housing
- Help with navigating OHSU
- Basic needs referrals through American Cancer Society Patient Navigator
- Assistance with advanced directives and palliative care, and decisions about end of life issues
- Information and referrals for financial and insurance concerns
Andrea Lehman, L.C.S.W.
Andrea supports patients and families at our community cancer clinic in Northwest Portland. She also facilitates programs to support those impacted by a cancer diagnosis.
Cathy Weeks, M.S.W.
Cathy supports patients and families at our community cancer clinics in Beaverton and Tualatin.
Christen Skolnick, L.C.S.W.
Christen supports patients and families at our community cancer clinics in East Portland and Gresham.