Advanced Technology and Computational Capabilities
The Newest Technology in Imaging, Computation and Integrative Analysis
As part of OHSU and its School of Medicine, the OHSU Knight Cancer Institute offers industry collaborators a comprehensive array of state-of-the-art imaging and analysis platforms.
OHSU/FEI Living Lab for Cell Biology: State-of-the-Art Imaging in Four Dimensions
With FEI, an industry leader in microscopy, the OHSU Knight Cancer Institute and the OHSU School of Medicine cofounded the OHSU/FEI Living Lab, a facility that provides imaging technologies and workflow methodologies that allow researchers to see cancer as they never have before. These technologies can:
- Examine living tissues in real time
- Visualize structural features at nanoscale resolution
- Perform correlative light fluorescence EM microscopy
- Integrate data across imaging platforms
These snapshots are compiled into a detailed map-like view of cancer cells, how they function as a system and their microenvironment. Comprehensive four-dimensional analysis reveals structures and cellular dynamics that contribute to cancer growth and metastasis, identifying novel targets for intervention.
Learn more about the OHSU/FEI Living Lab.
OHSU Center for Spatial and Systems Biomedicine (OCSSB): Comprehensive Molecular Analysis of Cancer Biology
The OCSSB, which includes the OHSU/FEI Living Lab, provides advanced genomic, biochemical, molecular, structural and functional analysis of cells and tissues.
The center specializes in workflows and integration of data across platforms, combining molecular, genetic and imaging information across size scales (angstroms to nanometers to centimeters), time scales (microseconds to days) and anatomical sites to give a comprehensive picture of cancer biology.
These capabilities enable researchers to take a full systems approach to identify drivers of disease and examine how tumors respond to potential treatments.
Learn more about the OCSSB.
OHSU Knight BioLibrary: A Repository of Healthy and Diseased Human Tissue Samples
The OHSU Knight BioLibrary provides the means to examine molecular and genetic underpinnings of disease and response to treatment in primary human tumors. Some highlights:
- Approximately 3 million samples from more than 500,000 patients
- Annotations include patient demographics, treatments and clinical outcomes, as well as imaging, genetic and molecular analysis data
- Online Biolocator tool to identify samples with precise specifications
Learn more about the OHSU Knight BioLibrary.
Bioinformatics: Next Generation Computation Tools for Complex Biomedical Data Sets
The Bioinformatics Shared Resource offers next generation computational tools tailored for cancer research. Developed in collaboration with Intel, a leader in information processing technologies, these tools provide the computing power required for the pursuit of precision medicine.
The core specializes in:
- Acquisition, analysis and integration of large genomic data sets and complex biomedical parameters
- Informatics to support a wide array of research methods, including:
- Functional genomics
- Clinical trial and data management
- Specimen repositories and tracking
- Statistical analysis
- Data integration and multi-factorial analysis to facilitate actionable results
Staff is available for customized development of algorithms and tools for specific project needs.
Learn more about Bioinformatics.
OHSU Knight Diagnostic Laboratories: Pioneers in Molecular Diagnostic Development
OHSU Knight Diagnostic Laboratories focus on the development and implementation of genomic and molecular diagnostics, providing an extensive array of services that lay the foundation for precision medicine.
- GeneTrails cancer panels screen for mutations in dozens of genes known to drive specific cancers, including various solid and hematologic malignancies.
- Other technologies used to examine abnormalities in patient tumors cells include:
- Fluorescence in-situ hybridization (FISH)
- Mass spectrometry
- Quantitative real-time PCR
- High resolution melting curve (HRM) analysis
- Pyrosequencing and Sanger sequencing
By characterizing individual tumors on a molecular level, the Knight Diagnostic Laboratories’ offerings support:
- Cancer research: to identify molecular drivers of disease
- Diagnostic development: to characterize predictive genetic signatures
- Clinical trials: to categorize patients for targeted treatment
- Patient care: to guide treatment strategies
Learn more about OHSU Knight Diagnostic Laboratories.