Clinical Neuroscience on the Oregon Coast: A Symposium for Primary Care Providers
Hosted by the OHSU Brain Institute, this annual CME course is designed to address clinical neuroscience topics for regional primary care providers. OHSU clinicians including neurologists, neurosurgeons and physical therapists, will discuss state-of-the-art clinical topics to help primary healthcare providers optimally care for their patients with neurological disorders. 2013 Featured Topic - Dementia. The preliminary agenda will be posted soon.
The course will be held at Salishan Lodge at Gleneden Beach on the Oregon coast. An 18-hole golf course, luxurious spa, tennis center, gym, sauna and indoor pool are available for your relaxation and enjoyment, along with a selection of fine restaurants and coastal attractions. For hotel reservations please call the Salishan Lodge directly at 541 764-2371 or toll-free at 800 452-2300. To receive the group lodging rate, identify yourself as a participant of Clinical Neuroscience for Primary Care. Please make your reservations as soon as possible; the room block will be released on August 5 and may sell out sooner.
- After this course attendees will:
- Be able to assess patients with common neurological complaints
- Be able to manage patients with common neurological complaints
- Know which clinical findings should prompt referral to a specialist and the urgency of such referral
- Be familiar with specialist intervention, including medical, surgical and rehabilitation, for common neurological disorders.
Oregon Health & Science University School of Medicine is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
OHSU School of Medicine, Division of CME, designates this live activity for a maximum of 13.5 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
This program is approved by the OHSU School of Nursing for a 3-day total of 13.50 Continuing Education contact hours.
2013 Symposium Topics
Friday, September 6: Essentials in Neuroscience
- Neuroanatomy, neuroradiology, and the neurological exam
- Essentials of Neuroradiology
- Essentials of electrodiagnostics
Friday, September 6: Cerebrovascular Disease
- Introduction to OHSU stroke center, Prehospital and initial management of stroke
- Interventional management of stroke
- Hospital management of stroke
- Stroke rehabilitation
Saturday, September 7: Dementia
- Exam and medical workup of dementia in the elderly
- Medical management of dementia in the elderly - current medical management, mechanism of action, side effects
- Neuropsychiatric testing in the demented patient
- Medical work up for NPH
- Surgical management of NPH
Sunday, September 8: 2013 Showcase Topic - Pain
- Headache, Complementary and Alternative Medicine
- Acupuncture / Naturopathic treatment of headache
- Introduction to management of neck and arm pain
- Medical management of neck and arm pain
- Surgical management of neck and arm pain
- Rehabilitation of patients with neck and arm pain