Preparing for Surgery
- Complete Pre-Admission Testing Clinic visit and Pre-Hospitalization Review class
- This is done the same day as your Pre-Operative visit with your surgeon
- Complete admission process ahead of time by calling Admitting at 503 494-2443
Support System for After Surgery
- Make arrangements with family and friends to help you after surgery
- Make arrangements with family and friends to help you care for young children and/or pets after surgery
- Assess your need for any specialty equipment (cane, walker, hygiene tools) and obtain these before surgery.
- Start practicing abdominal precautions and exercises that Physical Therapists will have you perform after surgery
- Make sure your house is setup so that it will be easy for you to move around and get to the bathroom easily
- Begin exercising now!
- Contact your provider about starting an exercise program
- Try walking, swimming, water aerobics, bicycling, exercise tapes, yoga, chair exercises like Sit and Be Fit, anything to get yourself moving
- Request referral to physical therapy if needed
- Start following the type of diet that you will have to follow after surgery
- Start breaking yourself of food habits that you know you will have to change after surgery
- There are multiple cafeterias around the hospital the one on the 3rd floor and is open 24 hrs a day
- Pay phones are located on the 9th floor by the lobby
- OHSU is a non-smoking facility
- Quiet hours are between 10:00 pm and 8:00am
- Calls during these times are automatically forwarded to the nurse's station
- You can make an outgoing call at any time by first dialing "9"
- To make a long distance call you must have a calling card
- Please turn your cell phone to vibrate or silence during these hours