Am I a Candidate?
Who is a Surgery Candidate
If your weight problem has become a health problem, the physicians and other professionals at the OHSU Surgical Weight Reduction Center can determine if you are a candidate for weight loss surgery, helping you manage your weight and change your life.
General Qualifications for ALL Surgeries
1. Have a BMI greater than or equal to 35 with one or more significant obesity-related conditions including:
- Sleep apnea
- High blood pressure
- High cholesterol
2. Have a BMI greater than 40 regardless of the presence of other medical conditions
3. Longstanding morbid obesity
4. Have failed multiple attempts with supervised dietary, behavioral, and medical therapy
5. Understand and accept the operative risks
6. Have realistic expectations and are motivated
7. Are capable of understanding the procedure and its implications
8. Have a lifelong commitment to lifestyle changes and long-term follow-up care
9. Must be evaluated by a interdisciplinary team of medical, surgical, psychological and nutritional experts
10. All patients must complete the pre-surgical evaluation and receive approval by all clinicians. They must be deemed an acceptable candidate for bariatric surgery.
Please be advised that your insurance company may have different criteria than what the NIH has, we strongly recommend that you check with your insurance company for their specific criteria.