OHSU's Teaching and Learning Center promotes the value and practice of excellence in teaching. We provide resources and consultation designed to promote teaching methods that are consistent with research about how people learn. By supporting faculty in their work as teachers, our goal is to support their success as they work with students as scholars and healthcare providers.
From PowerPoint to online distance education, technology has become prevalent in the modern classroom. OHSU's Academic Technology department provides a number of educational technology services including Sakai and iclickers, but the Teaching and Learning Center (TLC) understands that all technology is only as good as the expertise of its users. Expertise starts with training and consultation and the TLC is here to provide it to you.
- Sakai Help Desk – The Sakai Help Desk is available seven days a week via phone and e-mail for immediate help and consultation. We can help you upload course materials, configure exams and forums, or use any of the other myriad features built into Sakai. We are open Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. and on weekends from noon until 5 p.m. E-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 1-877-972-5249.
- Faculty Development Workshops and Webinars – Our workshops address methods for both in-class and online teaching. Topics will range from evaluating student performance to collaborative and team-based teaching techniques.
- Consultation – If you're looking for one-on-one advice with our Faculty Development Specialists, we can help you there, too. Please keep in mind that consultation time may be limited.
As busy practitioners, we recognize that our faculty do not have the flexibility to attend face-to-face workshops on a regular basis. To continue your journey in developing or expanding your skills in a teaching area, we offer online guides for self-study and reflection. As you explore an area of interest, review our philosophy, suggestions and/or references. After some thought, contact us for a consultation to expand your skill in that area.
TEACHING and LEARNING ROUNDTABLE (TLR)
- Curriculum Mapping: Hitting your instructional targets through informed teaching October 17th, 2014 [Video]
- Active Learning: Linking Teaching and Content - Presented by Alex Shuford on February 20, 2015 [Presentation]
- ExamSoft: Online Exam Administration and Analytics Presented by Tom Boudrot on April 17, 2015