TLTR 4-21-2011: Writing Effective Test Questions
Can multiple choice questions be used to evaluate higher level thinking?
This TLTR examined the best practices in writing, deploying and validating assessments. We provided basics for writing effective test questions, discussed challenges of secure online testing and explored question validation.
- Watch the Adobe Connect Recording
- Download the PowerPoint slides
- Handout Creating Test and Quizzes using the “Mark-up” Method in Sakai
Three articles of significance:
1. A Consumer's Guide to Multiple-Choice Item Formats That Measure Complex Cognitive Outcomes (Berk)
2. Multiple choice Item Writing Guidelines/Rules/Suggestions/Advice as Derived from 46 Authoritative Textbooks
3. How to Prepare Better Multiple-Choice Test Items: Guidelines for University Faculty