Student Leave Of Absence
Students interrupt their education to accommodate educational goals or special circumstances. There are many acceptable reasons for obtaining an Leave of Absence including medical care for a physical or psychological issue, birth or adoption of a child, family obligations, research, additional graduate degree, military service, financial hardship, time to study for boards, and other personal reasons.
If you are contemplating a leave of absence, be sure to review the OHSU Voluntary Leave of Absence (LOA) policy.
If you are requesting a MEDICAL Leave of Absence, please follow the steps below:
- Schedule an appointment with the Joseph B. Trainer Health & Wellness Center (formerly Student Health) or your health care provider if you are not being treated at the JBT Health Center.
- Have your provider complete the attestation form affirming that your condition requires a medical leave of absence.
- Sign the form in the student section giving the health care provider permission to release this very limited information.
If you are RETURNING from a Medical Leave of Absence, please follow the steps below:
- Have your treating health care provider complete the reinstatement attestation form.
- Sign the form at the top giving your permission for this very limited release of information.
Please note, providers at the JBT Health & Wellness Center may NOT complete the provider attestation for return from a medical leave of absence, only an outside treating provider may perform that service.
Insurance Options While On Leave
PacificSource Health Plans for the 15/16 plan year (starts 8/1 for new students and 9/1 for continuing students)If leave is declared after the 100% refund deadline: student will remain covered through the rest of the term coverage period and can elect one additional term of coverage (per academic career) if the LOA is an approved medical leave. Enrollment and payment for this one term of medical leave coverage will be done directly through Wells Fargo.
If leave is declared prior to the 100% refund deadline: then student will not be covered for the term UNLESS it is a an approved medical leave and if deemed a medical leave, they will remain covered through the remaining coverage period but will not be able to elect an additional period.
Previous enrollment in the prior term is required in order to qualify for a term of coverage for medical leave. A maximum of one term of medical leave health insurance coverage will be granted during your academic career.
We strongly recommend that you carry some form of health insurance. Going without health insurance involves potential serious health care and financial risks.
Returning From Leave
PacificSource Health Plans for the 15/16 plan year
Starts 8/1 for new students and 9/1 for continuing students
Your coverage will reinstate once registered for the full term coverage period.
Healthcare Resources outside of OHSU
There are limited opportunities for those on tight budgets to acquire health insurance outside of a parent's plan (for those under 26), or the University Sponsored Health Insurance Plan.
- Federal health exchanges have coverage options for those who have lost coverage elsewhere (considered a qualifying event) and can also screen for Medicaid/Oregon Health Plan.
Healthcare Resources outside of OHSU - View PDF