The term 'financial literacy' can be summarized as the ability to make informed financial decisions regarding your own personal fiscal situation. It goes without saying that it is imperative that students have at the very least a basic understanding of the principals of financial literacy to help them make better informed decisions while they are in school and after they have graduated. Our program strives to educate our students on fiscal matters by providing our students with:
One-on-One Counseling Sessions
Live Group Sessions
- My Money.gov - View Website
- Money Matters (FTC website) - View Website
- FDIC Consumer News - View Website
- AAMC/FIRST – The AAMC's FIRST program is a program designed by the Association of American Medical Colleges to help students navigate various financial topics ranging from financial aid to money management. Visit AAMC/First Website
- ADEA – American Dental Education Association – offers a variety of information for current and prospective students. Visit ADEA Website
- ADA – American Dental Association – Has several links to information regarding financial resources for students and recent graduates. Visit ADA Website
- ADA Live Podcasts - Information regarding financial planning for recent graduates.
- ADA Materials - Documents covering topics such as financial planning and student loan contract analysis. View Documents
All Students – The following publications are available for download from OHSU and the Federal Trade Commission. We also maintain copies in our office.
- Federal Trade Commission – Focus on Finances – 16 page documents offering information on budgeting, credit, and debt repayment as well as other topics relating to personal finance.
- Federal Trade Commission – Building a Better Credit Report – 24 page document offering insight into how to managing an individual's personal credit. Read Article
Our office offers AAMC and ADA printed publications as well as publications from other independent third parties.
MD Students – Association of American Medical Colleges
- FIRST – Resources for Graduating Students – Handout targeting graduating medical students discussing the costs associated with applying for medical residency. Read Article
- FIRST – Resources for Enrolled Students – Handout discussing topics such as identity theft and transitioning to medical school. Read Article
- FIRST – Resources for Residents – Handout for new residents discussing tips on budgeting and managing your time during this transition. Read Article
- AAMC Monthly Payment Estimator – Handout that gives hypothetical repayment amounts depending on the repayment option chosen by the student borrower. Read Article
Dental Students – American Dental Association
- Financial Planning Issues For Dental Students – Multipage handout discussing topics ranging from credit reports to compound interest. Read Article