Student Debt Management
Student Debt Management is the process of understanding a student's total debt situation. This means not only gaining an understanding of the ins and outs of a student's federal and/or private student loans, but also understanding the consumer loans they may have as well. Just like learning how to budget, learning how to properly manage your debt is a skill that you can use for the rest of your life.
For student loans this involves, but is not limited to, the process of:
- Identifying who services your loan
- Understanding when repayment begins and what that means for you
- Understanding the various forbearance, deferment, and repayment options that are currently available
For consumer debt the process is much the same:
- Identify who you have financial obligations to
- Determine the best way to handle these obligations while maintaining financial stability
- Establish good consumer habits to maintain manageable debt levels in the future.
For more information on educational debt counseling and how to manage your debt, please contact us to schedule an appointment
Loan Calculator and Resources
AAMC Medloans Organizer and Calculator (MLOC) - Learn More
Developed for medical students and residents, the MLOC provides a secure location to organize and track your loans and then calculate custom repayment plans using your own loan information to help you make smart choices about repayment.
Direct Loans Calculator - Learn More
Depending on the type of repayment plan you have (standard, extended, graduated, or income contingent) how much you pay and how long you take to repay your loans will vary. Direct Loans offers loan calculators and other resources that will help you plan for your future.