Program/Department Chair: Gary Chiodo, DMD
Program length: Four Years
Admit by cohort: Yes
Authorized Award(s): DMD Degree (CIP Code: 51.0401)
Minimum number graded credit hours: 243 units
Minimum acceptable GPA: 2.0 PA
Program Purpose Statement
The School of Dentistry shares the mission of the Oregon Health & Science University to provide educational programs, basic and clinical research, and high quality care and community programs. We strive to foster an environment of mutual respect where the free exchange of ideas can flourish. The dental school prepares graduates in general dentistry and the dental specialties to deliver compassionate and ethical oro-facial health care.
- To provide the basic science and clinical curricula assuring compliance with the Commission on Dental Accreditation standards and encouraging responsiveness to scientific advances.
- To provide educational experiences for students using a comprehensive patient care model.
- To provide general dentists who are competent to practice dentistry.
- To provide interpersonal and communication knowledge and skills to enhance care for diverse patient populations.
Student Learning Outcomes Statements
All of our graduates will be able to:1. Ethics: Demonstrate an understanding of the concepts of professional ethics, health care principles and a familiarity with the ADA Principles of Ethics and Code of Professional Conduct.
(CODA Standards 2-20, 2-21) and (OHSU Core Competency #6)
2. Critical Thinking: Integrate and synthesize information to advance knowledge and skills through critical evaluation of biomedical literature and the application of new science.
(CODA Standards 2-9, 2-23) and (OHSU Core Competency #2 and #3)
3. Communication: Apply interpersonal and communication skills to effectively care for diverse populations of patients and collaborate with other members of the health care team.
(CODA Standards 2-15, 2-16) and (OHSU Core Competency #5 and #7)
4. Diagnosis: Diagnose diseases and abnormalities of the oral cavity and head/neck region. Obtain and assess information relative to systemic health of patients, initiating consultations and referrals to other health care professionals as appropriate. Develop a comprehensive treatment and/or referral plan, based on current oral disease risk analyses' and standards-of-care strategies. (CODA Standards 2-13, 2-14, 2-19, 2-23) and (OHSU Core Competency #1)
5. Oral Health Education: Educate patients, parents and/or caregivers with individualized instructions for improving nutrition and maintaining good oral health, monitoring and re-evaluating as necessary.
(CODA Standards 2-15, 2-16, 2-23) and (OHSU Core Competency #9)6. Emergencies: Recognize risk factors for medical emergencies and demonstrate the ability to manage dental and medical emergencies.
(CODA Standards 2-13, 2-23) and (OHSU Core Competency #2)
7. Oral Function: Provide treatment and/or referrals as appropriate with the goal of achieving physiologic form, oral function and health.
(CODA Standards 2-15, 2-19, 2-22, 2-23, 2-24) and (OHSU Core Competency #1 and #2)
8. Pain Management: Utilize pharmacological therapies and behavioral techniques to prevent or manage pain and anxiety.
(CODA Standards 2-22, 2-23) and (OHSU Core Competency #1 and #2)
9. Risk Principles: Apply principles of risk management, quality improvement, infection control and radiation safety to patient care.
(CODA Standards 2-17, 2-18, 2-23) and (OHSU Core Competency #8)
10. Outcomes: Demonstrate the ability to self-assess competency and evaluate the outcomes of patient-centered dental health care.
(CODA Standards 2-10, 2-16, 2-23, 2-24) and (OHSU Core Competency #4 and #9)
11. Community: Demonstrate the ability to function in community based disease prevention and health promotion activities.
(CODA Standards 2-15, 2-16, 2-19, 2-24, 2-25) and (OHSU Core Competency #7 and #9)
12. Business: Identify the business principles and programs used in the administration of a dental practice while complying with all regulations, policies and protocols that relate to health, safety and the law.
(CODA Standards 2-17, 2-18, 2-20) and (OHSU Core Competency #10)