About Neonatal Resuscitation at OHSU Doernbecher Children's Hospital
The AAP strongly promotes knowledge and proficiency in NRP and has developed instructional materials for this purpose. After completing the NRP course, the participant will be able to demonstrate the following:
- Knowledge and application of the 6th edition neonatal resuscitation algorithm
- Effective techniques for assessing and improving the adequacy of ventilation
- An ability to recognize, troubleshoot, and respond to the reversible causes of newborn bradycardia
- Cognitive, psychomotor, and CRM-based behavioral-skills needed for the resuscitation of the compromised newly born infant
Course ParticipantsHealth care staff who may be called to a delivery or to respond to an ill newborn.
We do not provide CME credits for the NRP class. However the AAP offers up to 9 hours of Continuing Education Credit for the online examination for physicians, nurses, respiratory therapists, and emergency medical service professionals.
AAP disclaimer: NRP is an educational program that introduces the concepts and basic skills of neonatal resuscitation. Completion of the program does not imply that an individual has the competence to perform neonatal resuscitation. Each hospital is responsible for determining the level of competence and qualifications required for someone to assume clinical responsibility for neonatal resuscitation.
NRP no longer differentiates between an initial and a renewal NRP class. The content and areas of focus for each class are tailored to each learner's needs.
- Self-study using Textbook of Neonatal Resuscitation, 6th Edition, Chapters 1-4 and 9 for all providers and Chapters 1-9 for providers who will be responsible for advanced airway placement, ordering medications and placement of umbilical catheters. Many training programs and employers provide a copy of Textbook of Neonatal Resuscitation, 6th Edition. If you need to purchase a copy, it is available on the NRP website. AAP. We also provide you with an electronic copy of the NRP textbook with your course registration.
- Completion of the online examination PRIOR to attending the course. Participants will receive an email with instructions on accessing and completing the online examination 4 weeks before their course. After completion of the exam, a Certificate of Completion is generated. The Certificate of Completion must be given to the course instructor PRIOR to the course.
- Attendance of a NRP course, which contains skills stations, simulation and debriefing. There are two instructors for 6-9 students per course.
Please be aware that the NRP course no longer formally presents the knowledge portion of NRP learning. Self-study prior to the online exam and course attendance is expected. However, please bring any and all questions about the material to the course for discussion and clarification.
NRP cards will be issued at the end of the course to participants who pass the exam, present exam completion certificate to course instructor, and complete the NRP course.
The minimum requirement for NRP certification is every 2 years.