Three weeks before the students arrive at OHSU for their clinical experience:
- Complete the Excel spreadsheet: Computer Pyxis Epic Info and give to your coordinator.
- Students in the ICU and ED (for more than three months) are advised to get IMPAX access to view radiology reports online. You may request this access on the Computer Pyxis Epic Info Excel spreadsheet in the column titled: IMPAX/Network. The student can use an OHSU workstation to access the online IMPAX tutorial.
- Inpatient/PACU units (direct patient care) - students are required to attend EpicCare training before starting on the inpatient unit. Glucometer training will be held on the same day. Pre-registration is required – Please work with your Coordinator to register your students or call Melanie Blehm at 503.418.3307.
- 8:00am-9:30am - Glucometer Training
- 9:30am-5:00pm - EpicCare for Nursing Students Training
Prerequisite training – the EpicCare Core Fundamentals and EpicCare IP Fundamentals module and assessments need to be completed before attending training.These can be completed on the student's personal computer
- Ambulatory clinic - students are required to attend EpicCare training before starting in an outpatient clinic. Pre-registration is required – Please work with your Coordinator to register your students or call Melanie Blehm at 503.418.3307.Classes are prescheduled – contact Melanie for dates
- 8:00am-5:00pm – Ambulatory Support Staff Competencies (Wednesday)
- 8:00am-5:00pm – EpicCare and Clinical Orientation for Ambulatory Support Staff / Point of Care Training (Thursday and Friday)
Prerequisite training – the EpicCare Core Fundamentals and EpicCare IP Fundamentals module and assessments need to be completed before attending training.These can be completed on the student's personal computer.
Less than 60 hours
- EpicCare for Nursing Students and Glucometer Training
- Complete ED ASAP Basic (will need to be completed on an OHSU computer)
- Prerequisite training – the EpicCare Core Fundamentals and EpicCare IP Fundamentals module and assessments need to be completed before attending training.These can be completed on your personal computer.
More than 60 hours
- ED ASAP RN 1 Class
- Glucometer Training
**Pre-registration for ASAP class is required – classes are prescheduled – contact Melanie Blehm for dates.
- Leadership Students – Contact the Leadership Preceptor to see what is required (Full EpicCare access? View only?). Contact Melanie Blehm if Network ID and EpicCare access are necessary.
Two weeks before the students arrive on campus:
- Review the OHSU Emergency Codes. This applies to students and faculty.
- Complete an Access & ID Card form for yourself as faculty.
- The Access & ID Card forms must be signed by Mary Stock or her designee for each of your students. (If a student is an OHSU employee, s/he MUST have this additional Student ID badge.)
- Forms can be obtained in Sam Jackson Hall, Room 3255. Please contact Melanie Blehm to schedule a pick up time.
- Online training modules. For instructions, see the Student Checklist.
- Respect at the University
- HIPAA-Privacy and You
- Integrity Booster
- Emergency Management
- OHSU requires a background/criminal history check and a drug history check before students and faculty may get an OHSU ID badge.
- If your school does a criminal history and drug check then faculty must print out, on official school letterhead, a Background History Certification Letter for each student/faculty. By signing this letter the faculty certifies that the background checks have been done.
- If your school does not do a criminal history check, each student/faculty will need to fill out the OHSU Background Disclosure Form and fax to the Healthcare Human Resources, Organizational Effectiveness (HHROE) Office at 503-494-6110. Once received it will take approximately 24 hours to process. Results of the background check may be picked up at the HHROE office.
- Contact the Nurse Manager/Supervisor or Professional Practice Leader (PPL):
- Introduce yourself and let them know when you will be on the unit
- Share with the manager/PPL your syllabus and how you will organize assignments
- Request a day of orientation if you are new to the unit/clinic
- Request a list of preceptor names for immersion or senior experience students.
On or before the first day of clinical experience:
- Obtain your ID badge (Refer to instructions in the Student Checklist)
- Ensure that you and your students have a current Regional Nursing Network Clinical Passport.
During clinical placement:
- Periodically check in with the Nurse Manager/Supervisor or PPL to see if there are any issues or concerns.