Media & Events
Facebook fanpage: Diversity Program at OHSU SONTwitter: @DiverseOHSU SON
ARTICLES & PRESS RELEASESOHSU, Center for Diversity and Inclusion ‘Diversity Digest’ Check out the profiles of our two Diversity Coordinators on page two!
Check out the article written in Spanish by Leela Da Costa, one of our Diversity Coordinators, published in Caminos Magazine. Leela, talks about School of Nursing and the importance of diversity in the nursing profession.
Watch the National Association of Hispanic Nurses’ video highlighting the need for Hispanic nurses, in English or in Spanish.
Through the HealthE STEPS program several activities and workshops have been developed to assist students in various areas that include: career exploration, scholarship search, essay writing & mock interviews, graduate school opportunities, and financial literacy. Below are some highlights of our recent events.
Pre-nursing Simulation Workshop (hosted every year on the Monmouth Campus)
The objective of the workshop is to introduce pre-nursing students to the nursing profession. The workshop includes:
- Nurse expert panel (panel of practicing nurses who discuss what it's like being a nurse in their specialty/specialties)
- Nursing student panel (panel of current OHSU nursing students who talk about tips and strategies for getting into and staying in nursing school)
- Financial aid session
- Skills station and simulation sessions (Hands on experience with basic nursing skills)
A Nurse's Journey
Basilia Basin as she speaks about her journey into her graduate program and the journey she took to get there. The information session will include:
- Basilia's journey through her ADN program, matriculation to OHSU, applying and entering her PhD program
- Resources accessed to help her along her journey
- Q & A Session
Mock Interviews (hosted on the Ashland & Monmouth Campus)
Mock interviews are designed to help pre-nursing students applying to the school of nursing get a chance to learn more about the process and also assist them in getting them ready for a potential interview. The workshop included:
- Tips on preparing for an interview
- Mock interviews where participants practiced their interview skills
- Received feedback on their interview skills