Current ProfessorshipsDr. May E. Rawlinson Endowed Professorship
Dr. May E. Rawlinson provided leadership and vision to the OHSU School of Nursing and to the profession of nursing in Oregon. Dr. Rawlinson was the first alumna to earn a doctoral degree. Upon joining the faculty at OHSU, Rawlinson enhanced the master's program and helped establish the doctoral program. Rawlinson and her colleagues were pioneers in nursing research on psychological aspects of chronic illness and were instrumental in the development of clinical nursing research impacting patient care in Oregon. Rawlinson's scientific advances and educational innovations have had a permanent impact on nursing education and nursing research.
The Dr. May E. Rawlinson Distinguished Professor
With her work in cancer research and treatment, Dr. Nail shares Dr. Rawlinson's pioneering and innovative spirit. She and her colleagues are studying ways to help patients cope with cancer treatment and manage its side effects. She is currently the director of the OHSU Center for Research on Symptom Management in Life-Threatening Illness.
As a superintendent of the Multnomah County Hospital, Youmans Spaulding is credited withbeginning the Multnomah Training School in 1920, the precursor to the OHSU School of Nursing. A.B.Youmans Spaulding's vision for the School was "education of the mind" — not just technical skill innursing — and the value of ability and character as requisites for faculty and school leadership.
The A.B. Youmans Spaulding Distinguished Professor
With a background in medical-surgical nursing, Dr. Tanner has led a 25-year program of research on clinical judgment in nursing and the development of expertise in nursing practice. Like Youmans Spaulding, Tanner is well known for her reforms in nursing education. She chaired the Oregon Nursing Leadership Council Education Committee, a group charged with finding solutions to the critical nursing shortage through educational reforms.
Dr. Carol A. Lindeman has a strong interest in nursing research, has been published in professional journals, is a popular speaker and has held offices in many professional organizations. Dr. Lindeman served as Dean of OHSU School of Nursing from 1976 to 1995. Many significant events at the school took place during her tenure: The current Portland school building was constructed, all nursing programs in the Oregon State System of Higher Education were consolidated under what is now OHSU, and the teleconferencing education program was developed for nursing instruction to take place throughout Oregon.
The Dr. Carol A. Lindeman Distinguished ProfessorFollowing Dr. Lindeman's footsteps as Dean, Dr. Bleich is also a nationally recognized leader. He has published articles and book chapters on leadership, academic-service partnerships and workforce issues. Dr. Bleich has received many teaching awards and is the member of numerous organizations and boards. He was drawn to OHSU because of the innovative regional nursing education model that Dr. Lindeman pioneered.
The Elizabeth N. Gray Endowed Professorship
Betty Gray was a respected community leader and a long-time OHSU supporter whose gifts of time, resources and advocacy made an extraordinary contribution to the School of Nursing. Gray is a founding director and past chairwoman of the OHSU Foundation Board of Directors, on which she served from 1980 to 2003. Betty Gray also served tirelessly to help raise private support for the School of Nursing building constructed in 1992 on the Portland campus.
Judith Gedney Baggs, PhD, RN, FAAN
The Elizabeth N. Gray Distinguished ProfessorDr. Baggs has served as Senior Associate Dean for Academics at the University of Rochester and at OHSU School of Nursing. She has worked as a critical care nurse in both small community and large academic medical center hospitals. Building on her ICU background, she studied collaboration between nurses and physicians, and its impact on both patient and clinician outcomes. More recently, she expanded the idea of collaboration to include patients, family members and other providers. Dr. Baggs has also been active in NIH grant review study sections and as a journal editor for the prestigious Research in Nursing & Health since 2003.
The Elnora E. Thomson Endowed Professorship
Elnora Elvira Thomson graduated from the Presbyterian Hospital School of Nursing in 1909 and did postgraduate work at the School of Civics and Philanthropy, both in Chicago. In 1920 Elnora Thomson came to Oregon to direct a new graduate program in public health nursing under the School of Social Work at the University of Oregon in Portland. Her career later consisted of being the director of the Far Western Extension Office, American Child Health Association in San Francisco; the director of nursing services for Marion Country Public Health Division; a professor of applied sociology and director of nursing education at the University of Oregon School of Applied Social Science; the director of the department of nursing education at the University of Oregon Medical School; and a faculty member of the University of California at Berkeley. Throughout her career, she was involved in professional organizations for both nursing and social work at the national and international levels.
The Grace Phelps Endowed Professorship
In 1915, after completing a graduate course in hospital management in San Francisco, Grace Phelps assumed the directorship of the Multnomah School for Nurses. Grace came to Portland in 1909 from the Cincinnati City Training School for Nurses and worked at Multnomah County Hospital where she was active in civic affairs. Her civic network included nurses and non-nurses. Prior to accepting the director's position, she had been instrumental in establishing the Oregon State Graduate Nurse Association (1904), had worked to pass the Nurse Registration Act (1911), and had been awarded the Oregonian's, "Citation of the Week" for her many contributions. Grace Phelps was an early advocate of collegiate education for nurses and the establishment of the department of nursing education at the University of Oregon - which eventually became the OHSU School of Nursing.